Six

A couple weeks later I walked out onto my stage, seeing a group of big, burly businessmen talking with Phoenix.

I started the music and wandered offstage, approaching one of the men. "Hi handsome."

He ignored me and kept talking, looking up when I pouted and stomped my foot. "What?"

"I'm trying to entertain you!" I whined. "Kitty needs attention!"

"Kitty, come here." Phoenix said. "I'll give you attention."

I smiled and sat on his lap, giggling when he grabbed my ass. "Don't damage that. It's the best part of the show."

"I know." He said. "Now, Dimitri, I don't think our deal is going to work."

"Why not?" The man asked. "I've done what you asked."

"You did. But you cheated my game." He said. "You used my resources against me and nearly cost me my most valuable possession."

"That thing doesn't belong to you!" The man shouted. "It belongs to us!"

I heard someone come in and looked at the door, standing up when I saw a familiar woman walk in. "M-mother...."

Phoenix looked up at me, confused. "No. Niko no don't tell me-"

I ran backstage and locked myself in the bathroom, looking in the mirror as I started hyperventilating.

"Niko! Niko please! Open the door!" Phoenix begged. "Please come out!"

I managed to open the door and collapsed into him. "Please tell me you didn't invite her here. Please."

"Niko I had no idea she was your mother. I swear I didn't know." He said. "She's been working with me on an, operation, for a few years."

"Cancel it." I said.

"I can't. It's important that this finishes." He said. "It'll benefit everyone."

"Call it off. Or get rid of her." I said. "Please. Phoenix I'm begging you."

"What do you have against her?" He asked.

"She abandoned me when I was ten." I whispered. "Remember? I told you how I got my background in performing. It's all because of her."

"Phoenix, how does he know me?" She asked.

"Miss Pelario, I'm sure you remember your son." He said. "Niko, say hello to your mother."

"I don't have a son." She said.

"And I no longer have a mother." I whispered.

"You gave him up when he was just a kid." Phoenix said. "He was taken in by the owner of a strip club and made to work as a doll until he was rescued at seventeen."

"Mr. Horatcio, I'm here for our transaction." She said. "Not to deal with my past."

"I'm afraid we won't finish the transaction until you acknowledge him." He said.

She sighed and nodded, looking at me. "Fine. Hello, Niko."

"Hello Mother." I whispered. "It's been a long time."

"It has. You're, what, twenty now?" She asked.

"Twenty two."

"Right. Twelve years goes by fast without a child weighing you down." She sighed.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to." I whispered, leaning into Phoenix. "How's Father?"

"He's fine." She said. "Phoenix, can we finish this now?"