Twenty

A few weeks later Niko and I were at home, snuggled on the sofa while a movie played.

She was half asleep and I was on the verge of drifting off too, startled awake by a knock at the door.

"Just ignore it." Niko mumbled. "Probably just the mail."

The door opened and we heard soft footsteps creeping around, making their way towards the living room.

Within seconds we were surrounded by men in black, one of them grabbing Niko and holding her against them.

I shot up, glaring. "Give her back! Get out!"

"Not until you give us what we want." One said, producing a knife. "Tell me what I want to know, or I slit her throat, little by little, until she bleeds out."

I got up and the man stepped back, forcing her into a chair and tying her to it. "Now, unless you really want to die, you'll be quiet and stay put. Understand?"

"I have a question." She said, trying her best to stay calm.

"What?" He sighed.

"Um, if I'm gonna die, can I die with my teddy?" She asked.

"Where is it?" He wondered.

"On my bed." She said. "Master bedroom."

He sent a man up to get it and released her hands, tying her wrists together and binding her legs to the chair.

The man brought her teddy back and she hugged it, smiling. "Thanks."

"You seen very calm for a woman that's about to die." The leader said. "Why?"

She looked away as they tied me to a chair, hugging her teddy. "I'm not afraid to die anymore."

"I think you'll change your mind when I do, this." He said, wrapping a cord around her throat and pulling it tight.

She panicked, dropping the bear and clawing at the cord as she choked out whimpers.

"Not so brave now, huh?" The man taunted, letting go.

She fell forward, gasping in breaths and letting tears fall. "Please, just leave us alone."

"Your dear husband has information I need." He said. "Don't worry darlin, if he cooperates, I won't kill you and we can leave this all in the past."

"What information do you need?" I asked.

"Whatever happened to Mister Denasio?" The man asked.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. As far as I know, he was killed in his office during a robbery." I replied, faking confusion.

The man sighed, slashing Nikos cheek. She cried out, shaking her head. "He doesn't know what happened!"

"Do you?" He asked.

She stayed quiet, receiving another slash. "I'm sorry!"

"Tell me what you know!" He snapped, holding the blade to her throat. "Or I will kill you. Slowly, and painfully. Then I'll kill your husband while you're bleeding out, watching with no way to help him."

"I did it...." She whispered, keeping her head down. "I killed him."

"Say again?" He asked, pulling her hair so she looked at him. "I didn't hear you."

"I killed him! And I'd do it again without even thinking!" She shouted, snapping the ropes on her wrists apart. "And if you think for one second I won't find and kill you you're wrong!"