Thirteen

The next month I was sitting in a hospital waiting room, waiting to hear from Phoenix's doctor. He'd collapsed on the stairs that morning and couldn't move his legs, so I called an ambulance and rushed him here.

A door opened and he came to sit beside me, handing my a clipboard. "Take a look."

I looked at it, nearly in tears when I read that he would be temporarily paralyzed from the waist down. "Oh my god. Oh my god no."

"It should only last for a few months." He said. "Someone gave him a toxin, and once it's flushed out he'll be fine."

"Will anything be functional?" I asked quietly. "Will he be able to live on his own?"

"Of course. He'll be in a wheelchair for a while, but every thing but his legs will be functional." He replied. "You'll need a temporary wheelchair ramp to your front door and maybe a stair climber for him, but he'll be able to live on his own for the most part."

I nodded and set the clip board down. "Can I see him?"

He nodded and led me to the room, opening the door. Phoenix was sitting up in his bed, working on a laptop and listening to music.

I sat down and he took his earbuds out, smiling at me. "Hey gorgeous."

"Hi." I mumbled.

"What's the matter?" He asked.

"I was really hoping you'd just had another attack." I whispered, hugging him.

"It's gonna be fine baby." He said. "It's temporary. Once the toxins are cleared from my system everything will be back to normal, okay?"

I nodded and curled up beside him, finding flower arrangements on his computer screen. "Why are you looking at these?"

"Well, we're not putting off our wedding because I'm a little sick." He said. "So, I've been looking over the plans you made and have been making some slight changes."

"Like what?" I wondered.

"The flowers. You put in the notes that you wanted traditional roses, but I was thinking maybe we could do something exotic." He said. "Like these. They're native to Russia. They're called frozen Iselias, because they can only grow in frozen ground. They make beautiful decorations when dried and hung or put in vases."

He showed me pictures and I smiled, resting my head on his shoulder. "I love them. I think they would go perfectly with everything else."

We discussed it for a while, putting together plans and decor. We started looking at dresses for me, finding beautiful ones, but not one that I was set on.

"Well, how about after I get out of here we go dress shopping with Millie?" He suggested.

I nodded and yawned, curling up. "Can we nap?"
____________________________________

That night I walked out on stage, my plug tail swaying side to side as I moved my hips.

The group of muscular businessmen watched, looking quite bored with my dance. I sank to my knees and pouted, looking at them. "Why so you look so bored?"

"We've seen this one before." One said. "We came here hoping for something new."

I giggled and nodded, getting back up. "Alright."

I did my usual pole dance, then combined it with a belly dance. They watched, suddenly amazed at how I moved.

Phoenix came in, rolling on his wheelchair, and rolled up to the table with the men. He tried talking to them, finding them entranced by me. "Kitty, sweetheart I think you're dance is over!"