Sixteen

A couple months later I took Niko to the doctor for a check up, walking down the hallway with her.

As we walked she stopped, her eyes wide. "Phoenix, something just happened."

"What happened?" A doctor asked, stopping her.

Blood started dripping from her nether, a stain forming on her sweats. "I- I think I just miscarried."

"Let's get you to a room." He said. "Come on. I need cleanup!"
____________________________________

Hours later I sat with Niko in a hospital room, holding her hand while she rested.

My mom ran in, holding a bag and stopping when she saw Niko sleeping. "Oh thank god she's alright."

"Hey." I yawned.

"Hey, sweetie. How are you holding up?" She asked.

"I'm so tired." I said.

"But emotionally. Your dad just told me what happened." She said.

"I'm fine. We weren't going to keep it." I said. "Niko isn't too broken up, but she hurts. They sedated her so she can sleep through the bleeding and cramps."

"That's good." She said, setting a bag down. "I brought some food and sweets for her. And an aromatherapy bear to help her tummy stay calm when she wakes up."

"Thanks mom." I sighed. "She'll really appreciate it."

"I hope so. I made those cookies you used to love so much." She said. "And some fancy brownies. And a there's a baggy of gummy bears with CBD in them so help if she starts getting cramps again."

"Oh my god you really are the best." I sighed, hugging her. "Thank you so much."

"Anything for my baby boy." She said. "Now, you call me if you need anything at all. Help cleaning, dinner, anything."

She kissed my forehead and left, closig the door.

Niko stirred, mumbling something in her sleep. I squeezed her hand and she relaxed, her eyes fluttering open. "Hey."

"Hey beautiful." I smiled. "How are you feeling?"

"Better." She yawned. "Can we go home?"

I looked at the doctor that walked in, hoping for a yes. "Well?"

"Not yet. We're going to do a full physical to make sure everything is alright with your system." She said. "You seem perfectly healthy, and we don't see a way for you to have miscarried. So we're going to do a few xrays, and a gynecologist will come in to look at your reproductive system from the inside."

Niko nodded and curled up, shifting so she was comfortable. "Babes, did you bring my walrus?"

"I did." I said, handing the stuffed toy to her. "And my mother brought you some sweets and such. Some CBD gummy bears, brownies, cookies. She thought you might like them."

"Oh my god your mother is actually the most amazing woman on the planet." She giggled. "Why is she so nice to me?"

"She's liked you since the moment I told her you existed." I sighed. "Which was after I came home from the institution."

"She's so sweet." She sighed. "Can I see what she brought?"

I handed her the bag and she sat up, wincing slightly. She opened the bag, taking out the gummy bears and sniffing them. "Ooooh. She used the good stuff, too."

She took out containers of brownies and cookies, then the aromatherapy bear. "This smells really good."

She hugged it and snacked on the brownies, then yawned. "I'm sleepy."