Chapter 29

It had been a few weeks since Garmadon had been freed from the Devourer's Venom, and it was only days before Lloyd's 17th birthday. Lloyd was reading a comic in the park, with a hood covering his face of course. He glanced up every so often, keeping an eye out for any reporters. So far, Fritz Donnegan was trying to escape the Empirical Sludge. Much like how Lloyd had been trying to escape the press. After a few minutes of reading, someone shoved him off the bench. "Hey!" He exclaimed when he hit the ground. Two guys, dressed like bikers stood in front of him, they had purple snake shaped tattoos. Another walked into veiw, and stepped on his chest. "Get off!" Lloyd yelled, his hood fell off

One of the bikers threw a bag with a fortune cookie in it at Lloyd's face, before the group ran off, leaving Lloyd in the mud. Lloyd stood, covered in mud. He picked up the bag. "A fortune cookie?" Suddenly a notification went off on his phone. He looked "Lloyd someone posted a photo of you. You may want to get out of that park." He read, he could already hear the news vans pulling up  at the sidewalk. "Shit." He muttered as he started running, not wanting to be interviewed, again. Lloyd rushed down the sidewalk, his comic and the fortune cookie in his hoodie pocket. He hid behind a tree and pulled up his hood. He pulled out his phone and called his father "Heeey Dad..."

"What is it Lloyd?" Garmadon replied

"Could you come get me?"

"Did someone post a picture of you and tag the location again?"

"Yeah..."

"Where are you?"

"At the corner of Brick and 2nd..."

"On my way."

A few minutes later, Garmadon's gray '67 Impala pulled up next to the curb Lloyd stood behind a tree at. Lloyd climbed in and quickly thanked his father "Thanks Dad." Lloyd smiled as he buckled his seatbelt

"Let's get home before you thank me, they could still surround the car." Garmadon joked as he started to drive

"Fair enough." Lloyd laughed

"How did they know it was you?"

"Some guys got the idea to shove me off the bench I was sitting on, my hood fell off, someone saw me, and took a photo." Lloyd explained as he pulled the fortune cookie out of his pocket "The guys who shoved me off the bench threw this at me."

"A fortune cookie?"

"Weird right?"

"Not as weird as a giant cat tearing up the city."

"Oh come on, do you really need to bring that up?"

"Yes. Yes I do."

Lloyd sighed as he looked at the bag "Weird..."

"What?"

"The bag is from Chen's Noodle House."

Garmadon frowned "I don't like that restaurant."

"What? Why?"

"I knew the owner. Not a pleasant man."

"Huh... You never talk about before you were completely evil..." Lloyd said "Mom never does either."

"Well. Sometimes the past, is best left in the past."

"But if you don't know the past, you could risk repeating it."

"True. But I don't believe you'd ever repeate my mistakes."

"Maybe not yours. But what about other people's?"

"Fair enough." Garmadon sighed "Chen was my Sensei."

"Your, Sensei?"

"Yes. He taught me dark fighting, and one of my fellow students, dark magic."

"Dark magic?"

"Yes. The darkest of dark magic. Chen, was one of the reasons the Serpentine Wars happened. He used deception. Told both sides that the other would soon attack."

"The Serpentine Wars? Isn't that the war you and Uncle Wu fought together?"

"Yes. Chen started it."

Lloyd looked down at the cookie. He opened it, and read the fortune. "Dad?"

"Yes?"

"Are there...are there other people with Elemental Powers?"

"Yes. Why?"

"The... Fortune in the cookie..."

Garmadon stopped the car and took the small slip of paper. "Master Chen invites you to participate in the Tournament of Elements..." Garmadon frowned at the paper "You're not going."

"If he's as bad as you say, then he could be up to something."

"Your powers are too valuable."

"What do you mean 'too valuable'? What's he gonna do to my powers? Use them against me?"

"Possibly." Garmadon replied "You're not going."

"What're you gonna do to keep me from going? Lock me in my room?"

"No, you would just climb out the window."

"Obviously."

"You're grounded."

"WHAT!!"

"That's right, you're on house arrest. You're not leaving the house, unless you're going to school, or you're with me, your mother, or your Uncle."

"Dad!" Lloyd exclaimed "What if Ninjago is in danger?"

"Then you go with your Uncle."

"What if one of my friends invites me over?"

"Then you don't go."

"This is stupid."

"Hey, I'm just trying to keep you safe. You cannot trust Chen."

"This is worse then when the army of fired generals tried to throw us in a volcano..."

"You're not going to stop complaining until this is over, are you?" Garmadon asked with an annoyed tone

"Nope."

"Fair enough."