Chapter 8: Calming Souls

It's been weeks. Weeks that they have been in a continuous cycle of constant dying and surviving trials. They finally understood they were stuck there for eternity. No where to run, no where to hide. They became more tougher, started to look out for their own self. 

Nothing was the same. Everyone had changed. The day Dwight had that interaction with Michael, he has been more wary of his surroundings and trials. Jake and Dwight were more closer than ever.

They had looked over each other for anything, they were inseparable. Well, that was what Jake had thought. Dwight had been starting to distance himself away from Jake lately. New scars and marks forming on his precious body. 

Jake was hurt, he wasn't sure if Dwight was seeing anyone else or if it was Myers at it again. Dwight sat over at the logs that were placed around the campfire. His head resting on his hand. Jake looked over to him. Grunting, he walked over towards him. 

"Dwight." He stated firmly which made the nerd look over to him. "Yes, Jake?" He asked, scooting a bit to make room for him to sit. Jake sat next to him, intertwining his fingers with Dwight's. "Is something troubling you? You have been distant with me lately." He asked softly, his attention focused on the wild fire that lit up the camp.

A sigh was heard from the nerd. He leaned his head onto Jake's shoulder, he looked over towards the bondfire as well. "It has been hard. Being a leader for all these new survivors who come in and just seeing my teammates repeatedly die in front of me." He answered the question given to him. 

His breathing was slow and relaxed, feeling Jake fidget around a bit made him slightly scared. "I know it isn't only that." Bluntly stated without looking over to the smaller male next to him. "What do you mean?" The nervous leader looked up towards him. "Myers is at it again isn't he? He is the one making all these marks on you during trials?" Jake looked down at him, concern gleaming in his eyes. 

"Ah- No.. it's just me being c-clumsy in the trials, that's all.." Dwight chuckled softly, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "Don't lie to me, Dwight Fairfield. I need you to tell me the truth. Those marks on your neck wouldn't come from being clumsy." Jake warned, voice cracking at the thought. 'Tell him about me and you will regret it.' The warning from Michael echoed in Dwight's ears. 

"I-I can't tell you.." The nerd choked out. Tears were already starting to form, his cheeks becoming a bit red. Jake sighed, standing up. He yanked his hand back and looked over at Dwight with the most dirtiest look. "No, Jake please.. I have a reason for this!" Dwight had plead and tried to reach for his hand. "Then tell me." Jake rose his voice, backing up from the nerd. 

"He will hurt you if I tell you!" Dwight yelled. The air going quiet, the atmosphere becoming a bit awkward. The only sound heard were the nerds sniffles. Jake sat back down, wrapping his arms around his boyfriends waist. He made Dwight turn to look at him. 

"I don't care about me, I am more worried about you." Jake looked at him sadly. Dwight breathed out shakingly. "I just don't want you getting hurt." He stated, pulling away from the embrace they were in. "I will be fine, we always come back to camp after trials. Trust me.." Jake pulled him in for a kiss. 

Dwight kissed back, his stiff posture going away. They pulled away after a few minutes to breathe. Jake gave him a soft smile, ruffling his hair. "C'mon leader, cheer up. Everyone is fine and chilling over there." Dwight pouted and swatted his hand away. Fixing up his messy hair. 

Jake stood up and stretched. Letting out a groan, he helped Dwight up. "Care to join the group? It would help get your mind off of things." The nature boy suggested. Dwight huddled himself closer to Jake for warmth. "Doesn't sound like a bad idea, lone wolf." He smiled which made Jake laugh. 

Jake led him towards the crowd of survivors who were chatting away, some singing and cuddling, dancing and rough housing with each other. Seeing them happy even after such traffic events made Dwight bubbly inside. "Ah Jake! How are ya bud?" David walked over to Jake giving him a fist bump. "Feeling a bit better actually, thanks." Dwight ignored their conversation and walked towards the small group that stood still. 

The soft voice of a familiar cowgirl singing a song to the group. Her guitar strings strumming to the beat of her voice. It made the atmosphere quiet and peaceful. He went over and sat next to Feng who was currently talking to Quinten. She turned to look over at Dwight. "Hello, leader." She smiled over towards him. He gave her a small wave and looked back at Kate who still sung. "How did she get the guitar?" Dwight had asked and looked over at the two. 

"The entity had rewarded her for completing all her objectives." Quinten had butted into the conversation. Dwight nodded in understanding, "you guys didn't get anything?" He asked and the two shook their heads no. "All I got was a bloody outfit." The sleeping boy yawned. "Ye, but that outfit means you been through a lot babe!" David came in and hugged Quinten from the back. 

Nea laughed forming a heart with her hands and peaked through the hole to see the two. "Awe.. cute couple!" She exclaimed, throwing fallen leaves at them. Adam shook his head at the loud squad and countinued to look over towards his book. "You do know you can take a break right?" Bill stated, snatching the book away from Adam. 

"No thank you, I prefer to keep myself occupied with a book instead of socializing." He took it back and glared at him. "Just come and talk with us partner. It won't hurt to at least talk for a few minutes." Kate intruded and winked. Through out the whole night, all survivors were laughing and spending time together. Glad to finally be at rest from all the painful trials.