4.1.4

The two Padawans explored the main lobby areas while they waited for two hours to pass. They didn't leave the building, but they spent much time looking out over the district capital and pointing out the things that interested them. Caleb did most of the pointing, actually. Ahsoka spent more time taking in her surroundings than talking, although she made a point to never ignore Caleb. 

Caleb was astonished at how different Vahak was from Coruscant. His home planet had almost no plant life, at least from what he had seen, but Vahak was covered in beautiful trees and bushes that were in their blooming season. Both Vahak and Cuudek treasured their history and their natural surroundings more than the government-centered suburbia that layered Coruscant. The Fosin system as a whole appreciated art and beauty, ideas that were nearly foreign to Caleb. Ahsoka, who had been less sheltered, was able to relate to the people of Fosin. Togruta were typically more connected to nature.

They made their way back to their quarters just in time to meet Governer Kora outside their door. He led them away from the residence halls and into the specialized wings of the building, each dedicated to a different branch of government. They started in the executive wing, then moved to the legislative, and then the judicial. Caleb asked questions about each department but tried to reserve himself a little bit. Kora was more than happy to answer his questions.

"One of the reasons we love having Padawans join us for negotiations is because it is a great opportunity for them to learn about republican governments," he explained. "Hopefully, by the end of negotiations, you will understand a little more about legal processes."

Kora ended the tour in the Grand Hall, which he explained would be the room the negotiations would take place in. "We don't have another room that can accommodate everyone," he told them. "Otherwise, we would go somewhere slightly less elegant."

It was true, the Grand Hall was beautiful. The ceiling was curved and supported by pillars all the way around. Caleb had to spin in circles to take the whole view in. Every surface had some sort of detail, whether it was a painting, or a design printed on the pillar, or a sculpture ingrained in the walls. Colors were expertly woven and swirled together to make the most exquisite images, and they crept up the walls and onto the ceiling. Even the floor was patterned and made use of complex shapes and formations to add life to the ground. The designs seemed to dance across the floor. Ahsoka thought that this room was probably built for galas or parties, but it was currently set up for the negotiations which took away some of the joy that radiated from the room.

Governer Kora let them take in the view for a few minutes, before escorting them (reluctantly) to lunch. The food, like everything else in the building, was wonderful, but the Padawans ate quickly. The Governer had to leave to prepare for the negotiations, so Ahsoka and Caleb left to get back to the Grand Hall before everyone else got there. Besides, they wanted to see the room again.

~

The next few rotations passed slowly, but lots of things were accomplished in that time. Ahsoka and Caleb stood in the back of the room, silent except for the occasional comment to one another. The Vahak and Cuudek representatives spent their time discussing and arguing over various points and policies. Some of the conversations got a little heated, but none of them reached the point that the Jedi had to intervene. 

As for the Padawans themselves, they thoroughly enjoyed their time in the Fosin system. When they weren't present at the negotiations, they were talking about Caleb's new title of Padawan. No matter if they were eating, or spending time in their quarters, or even just walking down the hall, Ahsoka would be teaching Caleb. She didn't focus on the legal aspects since he was learning plenty just by listening to the discussions in the Grand Hall. Instead, she focused on the military aspects of their role. Ahsoka figured that if he was going to help Master Billaba in the Ryloth system he might as well be prepared.