7.4.1

Depa Billaba meditated in her quarters on her cruiser as it traveled through hyperspace. The Jedi Master tried to block out all distractions as she focused, but the notion that the Inquisitor might be Ahsoka Tano refused to leave her mind.

She and her apprentice were traveling to the Christophsis system to bring reinforcements to the base there. They wouldn't be staying for long, and in all reality, the clones didn't need the Jedi escort. Still, Master Yoda had insisted that she and Caleb go along with them just in case. Depa could tell that the Inquisitor was beginning to worry Master Yoda, despite her youth. She tried not to fret, but very few things unsettled the Grandmaster. It was concerning that this would be one of them.

The clones on the cruiser were fresh off of Kamino and were not a part of Depa's troop. She hadn't even met most of them, and some of them hadn't even chosen their names yet. She imagined Caleb was helping them decide while he completed his engine checks.

Depa sighed. Engine checks, like many other things, were another silent stand to Ahsoka's friendship with Caleb. She was noticing more and more of them as time passed. The Togruta had taken the liberty of helping Depa teach Caleb when she was busy, and it showed nearly every day. It broke her heart to think that the Padawan that had been so kind to her own might now be the newest threat to the Republic. It didn't make sense to the Jedi Master, but her fellow Council members did not share her views so she tried to stay open to the possibility, as much as it pained her to do so.

Speaking of Caleb, Depa sensed her apprentice approaching her quarters. When he knocked on the door, she spoke softly. "Come in," she told him.

Caleb stood in the doorway. "We have 2 parsecs to go, Master."

Depa stood up. "Thank you, Caleb. Let's go to the bridge, shall we?"

The teenager nodded and followed his master down the hall. Depa sensed an uneasiness in him, and she turned to face him. "What is troubling you?"

Caleb looked up and hesitated before answering. "The troopers were asking about the Inquisitor," he said shortly.

Depa understood immediately. It explained why he was being even quieter than he had grown recently. "What do they say?" She asked.

"They heard the rumors that people think it's Ahsoka," was all he said.

"And you still don't believe them?"

"No, Master. I never would."

Depa smiled. His loyalty to his friend never ceased to impress and inspire Depa.

"I figured as much," she said warmly. "Hopefully, this will all be over soon."

Caleb smiled at her, and his master returned it weakly. She didn't truly believe her words, but it was worth hoping for at the very least.

The Jedi reached the bridge in a couple of minutes. Caleb waved to a pair of clone troopers he had met and talked to earlier during his checks. Depa approached the captain on duty, who went by Static. Only Caleb had heard the story, but during his training, he had accidentally broken a practice coms console. All the other end of the line could hear was static, so it became his name. He would be staying on Christophsis with the new troopers.

"How are we doing, Captain?" Depa asked, and he brought up a screen that showed the space around the Christophsis system.

"Our path is clear, General Billaba," he reported. "The troopers at the base already know we're coming, so it should be a smooth landing."

"Wonderful," she said. "Is the new weaponry ready to be transferred?"

"My men are completing the preparations as we speak, sir."