7.13.2

Anakin woke up slowly that morning, and he felt...sore. That was weird, he didn't feel like he had exerted himself yesterday. He sat up slowly, despite his aching body, and he groaned as he shifted to an upright position. He was going to have to take it easy today.

He closed his eyes and rested, not moving for a few moments. There was something about the air that was different, Anakin could feel it. It was fresh, and new-well, no, not new, but...rejuvenated, as if it had been healed or brought back to life. He had noticed that the air around the Temple had been very tense and humid, but he didn't think it was that bad. Now that it was gone, the change was obvious.

The sun was already streaming in through his window. Anakin stood up and looked out of it, and he marveled at the sunrise off in the distance. It had been a while since he had been able to appreciate these small things, like the colors that the clouds turned in the early mornings. It was as if he hadn't even seen the sunrise for months, like it didn't even exist. Like someone had hidden it from him.

Anakin stared back at his mattress. What had he dreamt, what had he seen during his sleep that had put him so at peace? He racked his brain, trying to remember what had happened, but nothing turned up. He couldn't remember a single person, place, or thing that he had seen during the night.

Was it possible? For once, had Anakin only seen a dream? Not a vision, not a nightmare, but just an ordinary dream? Apparently, miracles were possible.

Anakin walked out of his quarters down to the meal room. Tons of Jedi were already preparing for the morning meal, and Younglings were running around, playing some chasing game. This alone was a new development; the Temple hadn't been so joyous, so carefree in months, maybe even years. Anakin didn't remember the last time he had seen Younglings playing.

The doors behind Anakin opened again, Caleb Dume nearly bumped into his back. "Oh, sorry Master Skywalker!"

"It's all right, Caleb," Anakin assured him, turning to face him. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," he told the Knight. He looked around at the meal hall. "Something is different today. The shadow is gone."

Anakin narrowed his eyes at the Padawan. "The shadow?"

"From my visions. Well, mine, and the Younglings."

"Which ones?"

"The six Younglings who lost their memory, right over there." Caleb pointed, and Anakin followed his finger. He saw Katooni, Pedro, Zatt, Byph, Ganodi, and Gungi all sitting and talking, huddled in a tight circle.

"They remembered overnight," Caleb said lowly, "so I think it's safe to talk about it. They're waiting to talk to Master Ti, but she's in a Council Meeting. Master Depa is too."

"This early?" Anakin looked around, and sure enough, no Jedi Masters were in the meal hall. "What was so important that they needed to have a meeting first thing in the morning?"

"Probably whatever Master Ti and the Younglings saw that was so important that they lost their memory. They think since they remember that Shaak Ti remembers, too, but they haven't seen her yet. They've been talking all morning."

It checked out. What had happened during the night that had caused this change?

Anakin and Caleb went to get their breakfast, but no sooner had they separated and sat down than the doors opened again, and who else but Shaak Ti appeared in the doorway. The room fell silent, but the six Younglings jumped up and strained their necks to see her.

"Anakin Skywalker," she spoke into the echoey room. "The Jedi Council requests your presence."

Anakin didn't move, but seconds later, the entire room cheered, and the six Younglings darted forward to greet Shaak properly for the first time in weeks. She knelt down to them and spoke quietly in their ear, before turning to the other Jedi that had come up to welcome her back.