7.8.1

Shaak Ti walked in a large circle as she watched the Younglings meditate. Her footfalls were silent and her pace was slow. She did not want to disturb any of them. From years of experience, she knew that Younglings were especially susceptible to falling out of focus if too much noise distracted them.

Shaak Ti had been working with this particular group for a while. Katooni, Pedro, Byph, Zatt, Gungi, and Ganodi had been working extra hard for the past few months training as best as they could. As a whole, they averaged about 13 years of age or just a little bit younger. In a year or two, they would most likely be assigned to a master, where Shaak was certain that they would perform wonderfully.

Ever since Ahsoka Tano had taken them on their Gathering Ceremony, the six had become quite close to each other. Normally, the Jedi advised against forming alliances such as the ones formed between these Younglings, but the next few training sessions had been so astounding that they let the matter be. All six of them had learned how to learn from each other and how to support each other. The results in their training were extraordinary.

Shaak had no doubt that it was from what they had learned out with Ahsoka and Hondo the pirate. She had heard an account from every Youngling and Ahsoka, but what wasn't said showed itself in their training. Shaak didn't know how Ahsoka had done it but the six had made incredible gains since then.

If only Ahsoka had stayed, then she might have been able to be one of their masters. The Council had decreed that her trial could have taken place of her Trails of Knighthood, but she had walked away and not accepted the opportunity. Shaak knew that the Younglings would have loved to be the Padawan of the one who had helped them find their way, but then again maybe it was for the best. After all, she could have only had one Padawan at a time.

The six had also bonded over the debate that shook the entire Temple to its core. They, along with Caleb Dume, were doing all that they could to reassure the other Younglings and Padawans that the Inquisitor wasn't Ahsoka at all. It was surprising to see how they all seemed to unite under such a cause. The only other doctrine they were willing to adopt was the idea that Ahsoka was getting ready to betray the Separatists in disguise, but they wanted to wait and see. Their reasoning was that they wanted to be surprised too.

Shaak wished she had their quiet courage and peace of mind. She didn't have that luxury being on the Council and all. The galaxy was a bigger place than the Younglings and Padawans knew, and that was that. One day, they would learn as much.

She waited a few moments more, then spoke in a soft voice, so as not to scare the Younglings. "Very good, little ones," she praised. "Your focus has never been stronger. You all have grown greatly since the last time I observed your meditation."

The Younglings smiled and stood up. "Thank you, Master Ti," they chorused and bowed.

Shaak opened the door to the practice room. "Go back to your quarters and get some rest. After how much you have improved, you all deserve it."

The Younglings smiled but didn't move. "Master," Zatt spoke up. "We were wondering if we could ask you about a few things before we left."

Shaak stared at him, then at his fellow Younglings. She knew what they wanted to ask about, but was reluctant to respond. Eventually, though, she let the door close and sat on the floor. The Younglings sat in a circle with her.

"I will give you what time and answers I have," she told them, "but I cannot guarantee that I have either."

The six looked at each other, silently deciding who would speak first. They all had decided what questions they would ask, it was just a matter of who would ask them.