06

Ruka (3)

I look around as we walk into a large tower. I start to feel uneasy. "Where are you taking me?"

Zuko ignores me and keeps on walking. He seems to know the place quite well. I begin to walk faster behind him.

As we continued walking, we were passing cell doors on either side of us. My stomach tightened.

We abruptly stopped in front of one of the many metal doors. "Why are you doing this?" I asked him. Zuko opened the door, "I want to help you." He then quickly pushed me into the cell. He slammed the door before I could do anything. But let's face it, I'm weaker than an uncooked noodle. What damage can I do?

"Ruka." A man's voice made me shiver.

I slowly turned my body around. Behind me, I can see a relatively large figure hiding in a dark corner. They were behind actual bars. This isn't like the boiling rock.

"Who's there?" I asked hesitantly.

The man stands up and walks into the light. Some sort of light went through me. I was in shock, which is why I laughed while running over to the man. "Iroh!"

Our hands intertwined through the space between the bars. Iroh cupped my face as we fell onto our knees. I sunk my face into his hands, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"How did you find me?"

I grabbed his hands and removed them from my face, however I kept ahold of them. I didn't want to let go of him.

"Zuko brought me." I responded. "Which is perfect because-" I took the paper out of my pants and then showed it to him. "This was you, wasn't it?"

Iroh nodded. "When my nephew informed me that you were in the palace, I had to reach you. I have something for you."

He stands up and walks over to the brick wall. When he takes one out without a problem, I cock a brow. He takes out a scroll then inserts the brick back into its place.

He comes back then hands me the scroll.

I open the scroll and begin to read.

Hello Ruka. It's Kanto. I don't have much time. Iroh will explain everything to you. But I will say this - You are a mastered water bender but there is one thing I didn't teach you. If you're reading this now, it's because Iroh knows you're ready. It was all up to him. I'm sorry for what's to come. We'll see each other again soon. Good luck.

I faced Iroh once again with wide eyes. "What won't he tell me?"

Before Iroh could respond, Zuko barged into the cell. I quickly hide the scroll in my pants.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I couldn't wait anymore." Zuko said to me. He looked at Iroh with frustration. "You sent this, didn't you?!" He held up a scroll. "I found the secret history. Which, by the way, should be renamed the history most people already know! The note said that I need to know about my great-grandfather's death. But he was still alive in the end!"

"No, he wasn't." Iroh responded dryly.

I looked between the both of them confused.

"What are you talking about?"

"You have more than one great-grandfather, Prince Zuko. Sozin was your father's grandfather. Your mother's grandfather, was Avatar Roku."

I widened my eyes, this explains so much.

"Why are you telling me this!?" Zuko pleaded.

"Because understanding the struggle between your two great-grandfathers can help you better understand the battle within yourself."

Zuko kneeled down and held his head in his hands.

"Evil and good are always at war inside you, Zuko. It is your nature, your legacy. Like I, Ruka has seen and loved all of it."

I looked at Zuko who's head was still down. I wanted to comfort him, but I didn't have the will to.

"But, there is a bright side. What happened generations ago can be resolved now. By you. Because of your legacy, you alone can cleanse the sins of our family and the Fire Nation. Born in you, along with all the strife, is the power to restore balance to the world."

Again, Iroh goes to the same brick and takes out something that is covered with a cloth. As he walks back, he uncovers it. "This is a royal artifact. It's supposed to be worn by the crowned Prince."

Zuko takes the royal head piece from Iroh and looks down at it. I can see something in him. His two sides are fighting against each other. He closed his eyes and takes in a deep breath. "I have to go."

"I wish to stay," I stood up and looked at Zuko. "With Iroh. I can't go back to the palace. And I won't go in another cell alone."

Zuko slowly nodded. "I'll come up with something. But how will you-"

"I'll handle it from here, Prince Zuko." Iroh cut him off sternly. Zuko takes one more look at me before turning around and leaving.

"Do you see that opening?" Iroh asked me. I looked up and there was space between the bars and the ceiling. I nodded, "Odd, but yes."

"I'm sure you'll be able to fit."

I climbed the bars and once I was at the top, I ducked and squeezed in. Iroh helped me down and once my feet were on the floor, I wrapped my arms around him. "Did you see it too?" I was referring to Zuko.

"I did." He responded. Iroh pulled away before sitting us both down. "Ruka, do you know about the Solar Eclipse?"

I shook my head.

"You must learn the technique before it. That is when we'll escape. It's the only way, we can't mess it up."

"I understand, Iroh. But what am I learning?"

"Something that no one has ever mastered besides Kanto and the woman who taught him. Blood bending."