10

Ruka (3)

It was a long walk to the temple, but thanks with the help of Toph - the smaller girl I finally learned the name of - we were able to find it.

It was absolutely beautiful. I felt a gust of breeze hit my skin and brush through my hair. It felt amazing to be outside.

I was able to introduce myself to those I never met. Teo, a younger boy who swiftly got by on a wheelchair due to being paralyzed.

The Duke was the youngest out of everyone. I thought he was a cute little button, but he's very fierce.

And Thalia; she was about my age. A cloth wrapped over her left eye. I didn't ask why since it was none of my business. As far as I can tell, she was kind. And she was dating my brother. She seemed a bit nervous talking to me, but I brushed it off.

Then there was Haru. Even though I knew him, it still felt like meeting a new person. He really grew up the last time I saw him. His figure was a lot more built and he grew a significant amount of facial hair. Haru kept his long hair, which I liked. His voice got deeper too.

I still felt comfortable around him; I didn't feel judged. I appreciated how he didn't ask me much about my appearance. And when he noticed I didn't want to talk about where I've been, he changed the subject.

"It's so different than the Northern Air Temple. I wonder if there are any secret rooms." Teo wondered excitedly.

"Let's go check it out." Haru smiled. Before they wandered off, he turned around to look at me. "You want to join us, Ruka?"

I shook my head, "I'll stay behind. I'd like to know what you find later though."

He nodded then caught up with Teo and The Duke.

Aang followed behind, but Katara stopped him. "Why can't I go?" He asked her with a frown.

"We need to decide what we're gonna do now, and since you're the Avatar, maybe you should be a part of this."

We all sat around on broken rocks. This felt like a meeting I shouldn't be a part of.

Reluctantly I stayed.

"So, what's the new plan?" Aang asked.

"Well, if you ask me, the new plan is the old plan." Sokka suggested. "You just need to master all four elements and confront the Fire Lord before the comet comes."

"Oh, yeah. That's great. No problem. I'll just do that." Aang sarcastically replies as he flicks a pebble to the side.

"Aang, no one said it's gonna be easy." Katara softly said.

"Well it's not even gonna be possible! Where am I supposed to get a fire bending teacher?"

Katara thought for a second before smiling. "We could look for Jeong Jeong."

Aang rolls his eyes, "Yeah, right. Like we'll ever run into Jeong Jeong again."

Toph cocked a brow, "Who's-? Oh, never mind." She crosses her arms. "If it's important, I'll find out."

I stifled a chuckle. You got a point.

"Oh well! Guess we can't come up with anybody. Why don't we just take a nice tour around the temple?" Aang runs off then flies into the sky with his glider.

"Why didn't Jeong Jeong just teach him in the first place?" I asked my siblings.

"There was an accident and Aang didn't want to learn." Katara answered. "But it was a long time ago, he should be fine now."

"That's not the problem though." Thalia interjected. Katara sighed, "I know."

It was silent for a couple of minutes until Sokka spoke. "Ruka do..." I watched him shift uncomfortably, like he thought he was going set a bomb off. Knowing him, he probably was. "Do you want to talk about anything?"

"You don't have to if you don't want to." Katara added quickly.

If I don't talk about it then they'll just keep asking over and over again. Might as well get it over with.

"I was thrown in prison and practically starved myself to death. Got out then volunteered myself into another prison, which wasn't so bad. I'm trying to gain my weight back though. Harder than I thought it was going to be, but I'm doing okay."

Sokka didn't look content with my answer. I crossed my arms, "What?"

It was quiet again.

I looked over to Katara who slowly shrugged while sending me a reassuring smile. I turned back to Sokka as he mouthed Zuko to Thalia who seemed to need clarification too.

I shake my head, "No." I stand up then begin to  walk toward the rooms Aang talked so fondly about on the way here.

"Ruka." Katara called. "We're sorry. We didn't mean to pry."

"Yes you did." I respond without turning around.

"Where are you going?"

"I need to be alone."

It took me awhile to find the rooms on my own, but when I did, I randomly chose one to go into. I laid down on the bed and curled up into a ball.

For some reason, it got a little chilly.

I peeked out the window and the sun still shined brightly in the sky. It's still early for a nap. I closed my eyes and let sleep take over.