21

Ruka (3)

"Hey, not everyone in my family is like that."

When I fluttered my eyes open, it was day light now. All around us were white fluffy clouds and the bright blue sky exaggerated them more. My head laid down on Sokka's lap.

"I know, I know. You've changed."

Interested in hearing the conversation, I closed my eyes again. They didn't notice I had woken up.

"I meant my uncle." Zuko's voice was deep and sad. "He was more of a father to me and I really let him down."

"I think you're uncle would be proud of you." I think so too. "Leaving your home to come help us - that's hard." Sokka said.

"It wasn't that hard." He responded. "Really?" My brother asked him. "You didn't leave behind anyone you cared about?"

It took a few seconds for Zuko to respond. I felt my stomach twirl as I waited for his answer.

"The only person I left behind was your sister. I'm trying really hard now to get her back, you know. But she's really giving me a hard time."

"You can't blame her."

"I know."

I couldn't help the smile that crept on my face. Hearing him say it to someone besides me feels nice. Feels real.

I felt Sokka's body slump down. His crossed arms sat on my side. "My first girlfriend turned into the moon."

"That's rough, buddy."

I sat up then rubbed my brothers arm. "It's okay."

Both Zuko's and Sokka's eyes slightly widened. "How much of that did you hear?" My brother asked me.

I shrugged. "Enough." I glanced over at Zuko and he slowly turned away from me, his cheeks a light shade of red.

>>>

I crossed my arms on the rail of the balloon. The moon was full and bright, replacing the day sky. Clouds still surrounded us, except they weren't as white.

"It feels nice out." Zuko stood next to me in the same position. I ignored his attempt at small talk. I only focused on the clouds passing by us.

At least I tried to.

He sighed. "I just wanted things to go back to normal. But nothing was normal. I thought about you constantly and that ruined my relationship with Mai. Because she knew how much I still loved you - still love you."

I slightly tilted my head to him. He noticed this and took advantage of the small attention.

"I'm so in love with you, Ruka. And I won't stop trying to get that through that beautiful head of yours." The wind flowed through Zuko's hair as it did through mine. "I don't care if it takes me days, weeks, months, or years. You can be married and I still won't stop."

I chuckled at his last sentence. This made him softly smile. "I'm not going anywhere this time."

His hand brushed the pieces of hair in my face back, then he caresses it gently. I nearly smashed my lips onto his right then and there.

I looked away from him and when I spotted the island, I grabbed his wrist and placed it down. I turn around and toss my shoe at my brother. He shoots up from where he's sitting, his eyes wide.

"We're here." I told him. "And give me my shoe back."

The three of us gather to the front. As the island starts to get closer and closer, my nerves start to creep up more and more.

"There's plenty of steam to keep us covered. As long as we're quiet, we should be able to navigate through it without being caught." Zuko said. He then goes back and starts to heat up the boiler.

As soon as the steam hits my body, I start to sweat.

I noticed that we were getting lower and lower. I walk over beside Zuko. "What's going on?"

"We're going down. The balloon's not working anymore." He responded. I rolled my eyes, "I can see that. But why?"

"The air outside is just as hot as the air inside so we can't fly." Sokka answers.

The balloon tilts to the side, making Zuko and I stumble to the edge. He puts his arm behind me to catch me.

"So what are we supposed to do?" He widens his eyes.

"I don't know." My brother shrugs. "Crash-landing?"

As the bottom of the ship hits the water, some of it splashes onto my back. I gasp and before I could scream, Zuko covers my mouth.

Seconds later, we're all thrown out of the balloon. I groan when my body hits the ground.

Once we're all recovered, we watch the balloon deflate slowly. I scoff while standing up, "That's just perfect."

"How are we gonna get off the island if the balloon won't work?" Zuko asks.

"We'll figure something out. I suspected it might be a one-way ticket." Sokka makes his way over to the balloon and starts to gather it in his arms.

After I dust myself off, I look around for anything helpful. But then again, we're in the middle of a rock.

"You knew this would happen and you wanted to come anyway?"

"My dad might be here. I had to come and see."

"Uncle always said I never thought things through, but this... this is just crazy!"

"Hey, I never wanted you to come along in the first place! And for the record, I always think things through! But my plans haven't exactly worked, so this time I'm playing it by ear. So there!"

"Will you two stop bickering!" I whisper-yelled at the two boys. "We need to stay quiet."

Sokka huffs before kicking the whole balloon into the lake. I furrow my brows while putting the back of my hand on my forehead. It was soaked.

I wiped it off with the sleeve of my arm but when I felt more sweat drip down, I began to fan myself.

"It'a starting to feel stuffy." I puff out my shirt. This isn't working. I pull my top over my head, leaving me in my black long sleeve. I use my shirt to wipe my face.

"What are you doing?" Zuko asks him as it sinks into the water.

"It doesn't work anyway. And we don't want anyone to find it."

"I hope you know what you're doing. There's no turning back now."

"Can we please get out of here?" Zuko and Sokka turn around to face me. "I'm starting to freak out." I was taking deep breaths, trying to stay calm. But I felt like the steam was starting to suffocate me.

Sokka quickly made his way over to me. Concern laced all over him. "What's wrong with you?"

"I- I don't know." I gulped. "It's feels really stuffy and hot and I can't breath. Can we just please get out of here!?"

"Okay, okay. Just stay calm. I'll find a way inside." He grabs my hand, but I snatch it away. "No! We need to get off the island."

"What?"

"I-I thought that I was strong enough to do this, but every time I close my eyes I..." I put my head in my hands. "I can't do this."

"Yes you can." Zuko said. His hands wrap around my wrists gently. "Look at me, Ruka. Look at me."

Slowly, I open my eyes. I let him move my hands away from my face and he holds them in his own. "You'll be on the other side of that cell - mocking it. We got you."

"I know we weren't there to save you last time, but we are now. And we're not gonna let anything happen to you." Sokka reassured.

"I promise." "I promise."