15

Ruka (3)

To keep her feet cool, Sokka and Thalia sat Toph on the edge of the water fountain with her feet inside.

"Does it feel any better?" Thalia asked her. She only shrugged, "It's better than before."

"I still can't believe he did this." Katara said. My brother shook his head. "It's not that hard to believe."

I roll my eyes. "Will you just quit it? You guys won't even give him the time of day, so you shouldn't be jumping into conclusions when you don't even know the story."

"This again, Ruka?" Katara asked me in a fed up tone. "Why can't you just-"

"I'm trying to, Katara! I have been for the past month! So just shut up already because you don't even know the half of it."

Everyone was quiet as they looked at me. I looked down to my feet and hugged myself. My voice was low. "You wouldn't know and that's my fault. I shouldn't have-"

Everyone jumped when a loud explosion was heard. The whole temple shook and we shielded ourselves from any rocks and dust.

Aang and Sokka quickly grabbed Toph and before we could go for cover, we heard a familiar voice. "Stop!" We look out and Zuko was approaching a very large man. He got in front of him to block him. "I don't want you hunting the Avatar anymore! The mission is off!"

The man whom I'm guessing is Combustion Man, harshly shoved Zuko to the side before sending another blast at us.

We all ducked cover behind the cement of the fountain.

"If you keep attacking, I won't pay you! Alright! I'll pay you double to stop!"

I poke my head out after another attack. Zuko was still trying to stop him, but it was no use. He couldn't even fight him off because he was twice his size.

When Combustion Man strikes at Zuko, I widen my eyes. "No!"

Zuko tries to shield himself with fire, but the attack is too harsh and that it sends him over the cliff. Instinctively, I stand up. "Zuko!"

Aang bends a large tornado of wind at him, but he dodges it. With each attack, Combustion Man gets closer and closer to us.

From the fountain, I bend a large wave toward the Assassin and with just a cross of my arms, the water turns into sharp icicles. Even though they hit him, it didn't do any damage.

However, when he covered himself from my attack, we took it as a chance to get out of his way.

With another blast, Katara and I cover each other. "Are you okay?" I ask her with my voice loud enough so she could hear. She nods, "Yeah!"

"He's going to blast this whole place right off the cliffside!" Toph alerted.

"Ruka and I can't step out to waterbend at him without getting blown up!" Katara said. I nodded in agreement, "And we can't get a good enough angle on him from down here!"

Sokka furrowed his brows in thought for a second before getting an idea. "I know how to get an angle on him." He pushes Katara and I aside then takes out his boomerang from its sheath.

After a couple of attacks from Combustion Man, Sokka estimates where it's coming from then gets ready. "Alright buddy, don't fail me now." He throws his boomerang and we watch to see if it will succeed.

The boomerang hit the assassin right on his third eye, causing him to fall back.

"Yeah, boomerang!" Sokka cheers while catching it. Thalia lightly laughs, "I cant believe that actually worked."

"Never underestimate boomerang." My brother smirks. Their joy didn't last long though because seconds later, Combustion Man was standing up.

"Awe, boomerang!"

We run back behind the pillar once again. I mumble to Sokka, "So much for your boomerang."

When we heard another explosion, it sounded like there were several at the same time. When we look out, we see the cliff where Combustion Man once stood no longer there. 

We all look at each other in shock.
I guess I spoke too soon.

I shake my head to snap out of it. I grab Aang's arm and pull him toward me, "C'mon, we have to go find Zuko."

"He's right there." Sokka points behind me. I turn around and Zuko was climbing up onto the floor. I scurry over to him and help him up.

"Thank you." He says. I quickly hide my worries over him. I simply nod. "Sure."

I turn on my heel and walk back to join the others. Thalia sits  Toph down on a large rock and we stand around her.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but thanks Zuko." Aang says. Sokka places his hands on his hips, "Hey, and what about me? I did the boomerang thing."

Thalia pats him on his shoulder, "Thanks, Sokka. You did good."

"Listen," Zuko walks over to us. "I know I didn't explain myself very well yesterday. I've been through a lot in the past few years, and it's been hard. But I'm realizing that I had to go though all those things to learn the truth. I thought I had lost my honor and that somehow my father can return it to me, but I know now that no one can give you your honor. It's something you earn for yourself by choosing to do what's right."

He glances over at me before looking back to Aang. "All I want now is to play my part in ending this war. And I know my destiny is to help you restore balance to the world."

He then looks to Toph and bows respectfully. "I'm sorry for what I did to you. It was an accident. Fire can be dangerous and wild, so as a firebender, I need to be more careful and control my bending so I don't hurt people unintentionally."

I watch Aang closely. He was starting to realize something, too. And it made me anxious.

"I think you are supposed to be my firebending teacher. When I first tried to learn firebending, I burned Katara. And after that, I never wanted to firebend again. But now I know you understand how easy it is to hurt the people you love." He then bows to Zuko. "I'd like you to teach me."

Zuko returns the favor, "Thank you. I'm so happy you've accepted me into your group."

"Not so fast. I still have to ask my friends if it's okay with them." Aang turns around and looks at Toph first. "Toph, you're the one that Zuko burned. What do you think?"

"Go ahead and let him join. It'll give me plenty of time to get back at him for burning my feet." She smirks while hitting her palm with her fist.

"Sokka, Thalia?"

My brother shrugs, "Hey, all I want is to defeat the Fire Lord. If you think this is the way to do it, then I'm all for it."

Thalia nods in agreement. "I support whatever you choose, Aang."

"Katara?"

My sister stares Zuko down for a moment before turning to the airbender. "I'll go along with whatever you think is right."

Aang smiles before finally turning to me. "And Ruka. You know Zuko more than any of us. And only you know what he put you through."

From the corner of my eyes, I see Zuko mentally pleading me. I face Aang then nod slowly. "I honestly think this is the right thing to do."

"I won't let you down! I promise." Zuko smiles widely. Everyone walks away, including me. This should be good.