11

It was silent. Thorin looked around across the tombstones and flowers, searching for Mivera. He saw her walking away, and quickly followed after her. When she reached the trunk of a willow tree, she suddenly kneeled to the ground. Thorin stopped behind her, she had yet to realize he was there.

She took off her bag and began rummaging through it. She pulled out three flowers and began talking,"I know you don't like frilly things, joking that they are to girly, but here." She set one on the tombstone in front of her.

Thorin watched her put the next flower on the one in the middle,"Sorry it's not the prettiest flower, but I thought you would love it for its smell." She finally turned to the last stone and smiled sadly,"I am not forgetting about you." She placed the smallest flower before it. Mivera reached into her bag once again, this time pulling out a flower crown.

She remained silent for a long while. So long in fact that Thorin walked off to her right to see her face. His features slackened at what he saw. Mivera was crying silently, large tears streaming uncontrollably down her face. She lifted her head up and smiled at the tombstones.

She sat there for what seemed like ages, and Thorin watched her for every bit of it. He felt as if he should reach out and pat her shoulder, maybe even embrace her, just do something because it made him sad to see her like this.

Mivera abruptly stood up and grabbed her bag. She put it on and stared at the stones for a minute more, then she bent forward and placed a gentle kiss on each one. Smiling at them one last time, she turned away and walked back into the mountain.

Slowly, Thorin stepped forward under the willow tree. He looked down at the stones, the one in the left said Telchar. The middle said Naoi, and the last one said Aki. He flinched when a voice next to him spoke,"Our family."

Thorin turned to see Tieal standing next to him with three flowers in his hand as well. Tieal smiled sadly,"Today was the day they died, many years ago." Thorin still said nothing and Tieal placed a flower on each tombstone. He gazed at them,"Their death has permanently scarred both Mivera and I, but I have found peace. She has not." He looked at Thorin and gave a serious stare,"Please, bring her peace."

Thorin was surprised at the sudden change of heart in Tieal,"What?" Tieal laughed,"Mivera, she complains to me about you nonstop. But the tone in her voice, she makes it sound like you are already a great king." Thorin's eyes widened. Tieal shook his head and smiled,"I don't know how, but she really does like you Thorin, and she's trying to get on your good side." With that Tieal patted Thorin's shoulder and left the cemetery.

Thorin was still in shock, Mivera liked him? This hought alone made Thorin have a light and fluttery feeling in his stomach. Acting quickly he ran out of the cemetery after Tieal. He burst through the doors and looked down the halls. He saw Tieal about to turn a corner and he shouted,"Wait! Tieal!" Tieal gave him this shocked look,"Yes?" Thorin ran up to him,"What's Mivera's favorite food?"

Minutes later, Thorin was standing alone in the kitchen, covered head to toe in assorted ingredients. He had no idea fruit tarts were so hard to make. It seemed simple, mix together the eggs, flour, yeast, sugar, water, and fruit, then cook them. But no, apparently you aren't supposed to get the white shell in the batter. And Thorin had messed up with the ingredients at least a dozen times.

The first time he accidentally poured vinegar into the batter instead of water. Second he put salt instead of sugar, then he burnt them in the oven. Thorin was intensely watching the stone oven that had a new batch of tarts in it, to make sure they wouldn't burn this time. Thorin heard a whispering sound and looked just in time to see Dwalin coming into the kitchen.

Thorin quickly pointed his face downwards so he was staring at the cutting board filled with fruit. He picked up the knife and began casually cutting it. Dwalin saw him and nodded briefly in his direction,"Afternoon." Thorin barely nodded back and continued chopping. Dwalin grabbed an apple from behind him. He took a bite and pointed his finger,"Fruit tarts?" Thorin again only gave a barely noticeable nod.

Dwalin nodded,"They're burning." Thorin instantly dropped the knife and grabbed an oven mitt. He quickly pulled out the tray and set it on the counter top. They weren't burnt all the way, just a little crispy around the edges. Out of annoyance towards himself he muttered a few strings of profanity under his breath.

"Thorin?", Dwalin said. Thorin mentally slapped himself, Dwalin recognized his voice. He slowly turned his face to see Dwalin. Dwalin was so confused, he didn't know whether to laugh or question. He decided both,"Thorin what are you doing lad?" Thorin kicked his foot on the ground,"I was trying to make fruit tarts." Dwalin rolled his eyes,"Ya I can see that, I meant what for?"

Thorin looked at the tray,"For Mivera." Dwalin smirked,"Of course." Thorin sent him a look,"What does that mean?" Dwalin shrugged,"Nothing really." Laughing to himself, Dwalin left the room, saying 'smitten' in a sing-song voice.