63

Mivera sighed heavily and sat down on a heap of gold. The whole company had been searching for hours upon hours for the Arkenstone. Heavy footsteps caught Mivera's ear and Dwalin, Balin and Thorin came into view. Mivera stood and crossed her arms,"There's no sign of it Thorin." He simply squinted and looked around the giant mounds of hordes treasure,"It's here, I know it."

Mivera dropped her hands in defeat,"Thorin, we have searched for hours on end." He glared at her,"You have obviously not searched enough." Mivera opened her mouth but Dwalin stepped in,"Thorin we will see the stone returned." Thorin became angry and his voice rose in volume,"And yet it still not found!" Balin calmly replied,"Do you doubt the loyalty of our people? The Arkenstone is our birthright." Thorin grimaced and shouted again,"It is the kings jewel. Am I not the king?!" He huffed and began to walk away,"If anyone if any one should find it and not return it, I will be avenged." Mivera just rolled her eyes angrily and turned around to walk he opposite way, but a little figure hiding behind a pillar stopped her. It is Bilbo, and by the look on his face Mivera knew he was frightened. Balin had noticed to and went to him with her.

Balin wasted no time answering Bilbo's questioning look,"It's called dragon sickness. It's a terrible need, and a fierce, jealous love Bilbo. It sent his grandfather mad." The hobbit was silent before he nervously turned to Mivera. He wrung his hands and spoke low,"Mivera, if Thorin were to- have, the stone, well uh, if it were found. W-would it help?" Mivera was tacken aback and stood in mute shock. She looked up to see her husband, no, the king lost in the depths of the dark sickness and shook her head. Her eyes glued to Thorin as she responded,"That stone crowns all. It is the summit of our mighty wealth, bestowing power on the owner. Would it stay his madness? No Master Baggins. I feel it would make his condition worsen." She then looked at him with knowing eyes,"I believe it is best if it remains lost."

Her words echoed through Bilbo's mind throughout the rest of the day. Bofur had miraculously brought the kitchen up and working, so the company was enjoying a nice rest before Thorin put them back to work again. Bilbo reached his hand in his pocket and pulled out his acorn. Not one second later and he felt a rough hand turn him to face them. Thorin's anger in his eyes dies down when he saw it was just and acorn. Bilbo saw the questioning glance,"I picked it up in Beorns garden." Thorin was evident in his confusion,"You carried it all this way?" Unbeknownst to the two of them, Mivera had walked by and began listening and watching the exchange.

Thorin furrowed his eyebrows,"That is a poor prize to take back to the Shire." Bilbo just shrugged,"Well one day it will grow, and as I see it I'll remember. I'll remember everything, and how lucky I was to make it back." Bilbo smiled at the thought, and Mivera smiled to. When Thorin began to smile, Mivera's heart melted. She missed his smile, and she missed him. Mivera wanted the moment to last a little longer, but Dwalin's voice called out,"The survivors from Lake-Town are streaming into Dale! There seem to be hundreds!" The soft smiling face grew hardened and stoic, the light once again leaving his eyes. Mivera's heart was shattered as she heard Thorin gruff voice call out,"To the gate. Now!"

So began the backbreaking work of building a wall at the entrance. Whilst everyone was sweating, Thorin was calmly watching and barking orders,"I want this fortress safe by sun-rise. I will not the this mountain taken again." Mivera's footing faulted and the rock she was hoisting up slammed on her chest, knocking the wind clear out of her. Though Thorin saw he made no attempt to help, luckily her nephews were there in time before if crushed her. Mivera gasped for breath,"The people of the Lake have nothing, they come to us in need. They have lost everything."

Thorin spun on his heels and yanked Mivera forcefully on her feet. His hands were crushing her shoulders and he said with anger raging in his eyes,"Do not tell me what they have lost. You and I know much more hardship." For a time long enough to blink twice, Mivera saw Thorin, her true Thorin, inside. But that time was gone in an instant and Thorin let go of her shoulders,"They should rejoice for escaping dragon fire. That is something to be grateful for." Mivera looked down at her feet and she felt to pairs of hands gingerly touch her back and lead her into the mountain, undoubtedly Fili and Kili. Both her footsteps and heart were heavy as she listened to Thorin shout for them to keep working.