47

Thorin was aggravated beyond belief as he peeked through a hole in his barrel. Him and the company had to hide in their barrels and get dead fish dropped on them in order to pass though the gates unseen, and the smell alone was horrible. Thorin was growing angry at the slimy man interrogating Bard about the fish barrels. He pointed at the barrels and Thorin tensed. Some men came over and began to tip the barrels over the edge, and unbeknownst to Thorin straight on top of Mivera. Luckily Bard got them to stop and they were now safe.

Thorin was the last to be pulled out of the stinky coffins of fish. He huffed and went to Bard,"And now the matter of our weapons." Bard was about to speak but a boy ran around the dock and called out,"Da! Our house is being watched!" Bard sneered and turned to the dwarves,"We need to get you to my house, but you won't like how." Balin shrugged,"How?" Bard looked genuinely sorry,"You could swim in the lake, up under the house over there, that's my house. On the back corner of the house there is a hole. I think climbing through that would be our best option." Thorin pinched the bridge of his nose as the company groaned with anguish. Bilbo looked around in confusement,"Why is there a hole?" Dwalin laughed,"Master hobbit you are about to find out."

While the company began their painfully slow descent into the lake, Mivera was trying to keep her head out of it. She was so cold she felt her fingers begin to throb of cold, and it took her so much concentration to breath. Mivera clawed at the boat and caught a grip. With one final large heave she made it onto the deck, but not without knocking down some barrels. One landed perfectly onto her abdomen, making her yell out in pain as she felt the newly healed skin rip open again and fresh blood begin to soak through her makeshift bandage.

Thorin heard this cry and looked back at the boats. He treaded the water and peered back at the boat, he saw that a few barrels had called over but nothing else. Balin pulled him away,"Thorin lad! Hoist me up?" Thorin stole one last glance at the boat before swimming over to Balin. Balin looked at him,"What was that about?" Thorin shrugged it off,"Nothing. Here." Dwalin was above them and reached down, taking hold of Balins arms. Thorin pushed Balin up by his feet, then waited until he was pulled up. During his time of waiting he looked back at the boat and something caught his eye.

There was a small movement from the barrels, no more than a twitch, but somehow Thorin saw it. Dwalin called down,"Alright Thorin, your turn." Thorin nodded and reached up, and Dwalin pulled him into the house. But not before Thorin looked back and saw a hand grip the side of a barrel.