12

Ethan

"What's wrong?" I ask as I watch Cassie mess with the cherry that's perched on top of her shake. We came to a small 24 hour diner just outside of town so we could have a proper conversation. All she wanted was a shake so of course that's what I got her.

"I'm sorry." She sighs. This causes my eyebrows to furrow in confusion. "About what?" I ask genuinely confused. "I really shouldn't have kissed you." She mutters. I'd be lying if I said that didn't break my heart a little. I immediately tense up as I think of the possibility that she didn't enjoy it the way I did.

"It's just you don't want to be involved with me." She adds. "What makes you say that?" I ask, even more confused now. "You don't deserve the trouble." She sighs as she goes to stand and make her way towards the door.

I'm quick to grab the sleeve of her jacket. "Please sit. At least finish your milkshake." I plead. She glances at the strawberry drink and then back at me as she chews on the thought.

She hesitantly sits back down and my heartbeat slows a little bit. "I bought you the drink for a reason Cass." I murmur.

Cassie

The small nickname falls past his lips and it sends shivers down my spine. It's been so long since a guy has been this nice to me. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time a guy was like this towards me.

"I want to talk to you. I want to get to know you." He says softly as he leans forward and folds his hands on the table. I can't help but take in everything about him.

"You're almost as big as your brother yet you don't play any sports." I say with furrowed eyebrows. If he wants to get to know me then I'm gonna use this time to my advantage and get to know this mysterious guy.

"I work out on my own." He lets out a low chuckle. My cheeks turn a light shade of pink since I practically admitted that I was checking him out.

"Why?" I ask softly. "It's stress relieving." He shrugs. I just nod as I take a small sip from the thick milkshake.

"You ever been here before?" He ask as he watches my eyes wonder around the small diner. "A long long time ago." I chuckle a little as I remember the time I came here as a kid.

"Why haven't you been here in so long?" He ask carefully. "My mom doesn't really like to go out anymore." I say softly.

I can tell he doesn't wanna push the issue any further because he remains silent. I don't dare tell him much more because I don't want to scare him away.

"What about you?" I ask as I take another drink of my shake. "Grayson and I come here every once in a while." He shrugs.

"Are you guys close?" I ask out of pure curiosity. "Yeah. We tend to be around each other a lot." He says with a small smile. "You guys just seem so different." I admit. "Not that different. We just chose different paths." He says smoothly.

His way with words never fails to woah me. It sends a small shiver down my body every time.

Ethan

The whole time I continue to think about how strange and tense she seems to be. I want to know everything but I don't dare push her too hard. She'll tell me when she wants or needs to. I'll wait until then and I'll be here.

Word count 613