o1.

Valencia Sulan

UCLA! I am here!! I am officially a Bruin! Wow.

My thoughts were cut off by my mom yelling for me.

"Valencia! I know you hear me!" My mom said as I turned around to her.

"Yes, mom. I hear you." I said flatly as she had interrupted my moment.

I grabbed my last small box of personals from the trunk of the rental before she closed it shut. I heard her sniffle and I knew she was going to start her infamous 'my baby's growing up' speech for the 30th time, just this summer alone, so I hurried and shuffled up the stairs into the dormitory.

While trying to lose her in the traffic of the incoming freshmen I bumped into a pack of boys, sending me and my box flying back. Laughter erupted from the group and embarrassment took over my face and body. I tried to gather my things when one of the boys helped get some of the stuff that flew from within my reach.

"Aye ma, are you okay?" he inquired as I kept my head down and nodded.

I let out a simple thanks as I lifted myself from the ground. I dusted myself off and felt his eyes roaming over me. I picked up my box and heard him clear his throat to speak.

"So what's your na-" He started but was soon cut off by a male voice behind him.

"AYE BRUH! LEAVE THAT CLUMSY ASS FRESHY ALONE! WE GOTTA GO!" one of the boys from the pack shouted, intensifying my embarrassment. 

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't relieved his friend cut off his attempt to speak, but then again he did insult me in the same breath.

The helpful gentleman turned to his friends and replied "Aye I'm coming. Just give me a second."

But he wouldn't need that second because as soon as he turned away, so did I as I high-tailed to my room. That's enough embarrassment for my first day.

*****

"Okay, Valencia. That's everything. We made it look really good in here." said my dad as he put his hand on his waist smiling at the decorating and constructing we'd done.

I looked around the bedroom and was pretty proud. I had to agree, we did do a good job. My dorm was suite style, so once you entered the room, there was a common area of a living area and a small kitchen with doors leading to the actual bedrooms that hosted their own bathrooms. Most of our effort today was put into my bedroom and bathroom, the common areas would be sorted out later. My dad spoke up again as I stood up, stretching out my limbs.

"Well, we better get going. We have to return that rental and U-Haul before catching our flight back. I love you ladybug and I'm so very proud of you. When you come home for Thanksgiving, come home smarter." He hugged me tight and kissed my forehead.

"Yeah, come home smarter and not with a fetus!" My little brother Raymond said, laughing at his tasteless joke. Sucking my teeth I mushed his face then pulled him in for a hug.

Now it was time for the dreaded goodbye with my mom. She cried like a baby. I'd miss her too but I'd be home for holiday break soon enough. I walked them outside and said my last goodbyes before making my way back inside. I went back to my room and flopped down on my bed.

"Boy am I pooped! I'm going to just lay here for a few."

Sounds of rummaging and chatter woke me from my unexpected, yet needed nap. "A few" must have meant a few hours. I looked at my phone totally shocked by how much time flew. Now I need to see what all this noise is about. I rolled out the bed and adjusted the messy bun on my head and made my way out of my room, just to run into the cutest little stranger.

"Uh hello..."

He smiled. "Hi, my name is Seth. I'm four years old."

Sasha Johnson (in multimedia)

"I really don't feel like unpacking mama. I'll finish it later. I'm just glad we set up my bed." I said as my mom put back down one of my many boxes of clothes.

"Okay. Well then I guess our work here is done." My mom said with a smile.

Our relationship is a rough, rocky one so distancing ourselves like this is bittersweet for us both. I want to be away from her just as much as she wants me gone. But we'll still miss each other.

"I guess it is." I said, returning the smile. I hugged her for what felt like an eternity. She hugged back tightly. It was one of our small moments of unspoken apologies, forgiveness, and farewells.

She broke the hug. "We have to go, baby. I have to get your brother to practice." She said as she began to scan the room. "Speaking of which...."

I rolled my eyes and groaned walking out of my room and entering the joint living area and kitchen looking for my little brother Seth.

"I'm four years old." said Seth causing me to scrunch my face in confusion.

"Who is he talking to?" I wondered out loud.

I found him and another familiar girl. "Seth! Mom is looking for you. It's time for you guys to head home."

He hugged the girl and told her bye and ran off. I looked in his direction. Did he not see me here? I couldn't get a hug or a bye? I laughed to myself before getting cut off.

"Sasha?" said the girl.

"Yes?" I replied looking her up and down.

"Hey, girl. You look so much different from our facetimes!"

I laughed hard. "Valencia! I didn't even recognize you! I almost thought UCLA hoe'd my life and gave me another girl as a roommate." We both laughed and hugged.

We began facetiming each other back in June when rooming assignments were mailed out. On the paperwork was our roommate's name, phone number and basic info and facts about them. She hit me up first and we've have been in constant contact since then. Borderline best friends if I must say so myself. You ever meet someone, like on social media that you trust more with your life's secrets and details than your actual real-life friends? That was how me and Valencia were.

"Okay! We're out of here girls!" My mom said as she walked up to us with her purse and keys. "Hey, Miss Valencia. I didn't know you were in there."

Valencia hugged her and said how she had been here since the morning but was taking a nap.

"Well, you girls behave! I'm only a 30-minute drive away!" She said giving us a warning look.

We both gave our most innocent smiles and said bye. Seth gave me my hug and a kiss on the cheek. I'd miss the little guy.

"Yes! They're gone!" I exclaimed as I locked the door after their exit.

"You are so crazy!" Valencia said with a chuckle as I held my hand in a pinching animation, "Just a little bit."

We sat around and talked for hours about random things. Then the sound of a growl entered the room. I looked over and Valencia was rubbing her stomach with a pout.

"THAT WAS YOU?!" I asked shockingly.

She fell out laughing. "Shush. I'm starving!"

I looked over at the time. Wow. It was 11 something at night. Time flies!

"Hey! I heard they were having a welcome midnight breakfast in the underground tonight. Let's swing by that!" she said.

I hopped off the couch and headed to my room. "Sure. Let me change out of these sweats."