Chapter 13 - Defence

*Matthew*

I had finally caught up to Alexandra and was running by her side. She was, no doubt, fast and took this race quite seriously. Every time I would try overtaking she would push harder and run faster, leaving me in the dust.

Besides the race, I focused on how the wind felt on my face, running through my fur. The smell of an oncoming storm and the light of the moon shining on us as we ran.

"The feeling of being free never gets old," I thought to myself and Octavian growled in agreement as he kept running, staying close to Alexandra. The sound of his paws hitting the ground and beat of his heart moving at the same pace.

I would give anything just to feel this way everyday if it meant I could just run and never look back. I guess many others had had this same thought too, just being away from all their problems and struggles for a while.

Suddenly Octavian linked me and said,"You think to much, can we just focus on the race."

"Hey! I can't help I'm poetically gifted."

"Poetic my ass! Let's just win the race and then you can be as deep and meaningful as you want,"Octavian replied to my statement. I just chuckled and focused on the race like he told me to.

We made it to the edge of the woods, but didn't slow down, we kept running at full speed towards the training grounds.

The trees were just dark blurs as we passed by them and a few of the moon's beams could be seen on the forest floor, shining through the leaves and branches.

By this point Alexandra and I were neck-in-neck, running forward towards the grounds.

It finally came into view and we both gave every bit of strength to our wolves.

In the end when the race was over it was Alexandra who had won by a few inches, which made Octavian growl.

"If your poetic ass could shut up and focus, we could've won this race," he said to me and I just laughed at what a sore loser he was.

We Alexandra shift back and did the same and the next moment I was in full control again.

"So I was right, you have gotten slow. This just proves I'm always right and that you should listen to me," Alexandra said with a satisfied grin and folding her arms over her chest.

"You won by a few inches, that doesn't prove anything. You just won't admit that I'm in better shape than you thought," I said trying to beat her statement.

She shrugged at what I said and replied," Maby, maby not."

"That's not a 'no'."

"It's not a 'yes' either, so let's just leave it there for now," she said, turned and started walking to the field.I rolled my eyes and chuckled and had to jog to keep up with her.

We walk onto the field, it was the size of two football fields next to each other, mainly dirt and gravel, but a few grass patches were seen too.

We made are way toward a rather large patch of dirt where we were going to train.

Then Alexandra turned to me and said,"We will be focusing on your defence first then your offence and finally your fighting method or simply your plan of attack."

I nodded and I started preparing mentally for what was to come.

"Take your stance and then we'll start from there, just remember no wolf power, it's against the rules. Your opponent is allowed to shift and use their wolf. But you aren't which means you're relying not only on your physical strength, but your mental strength too. The mental fighting pattern you'll be using," Alexandra said and she too took her stance in front of me.