Chapter 36 - High Hopes

"I don't know if hope makes life easier or harder."

*Alexandra*

I woke up when I felt someone take me out of the car, I could feel their cold hands touch the exposed skin on my legs as they threw me over their shoulder. My head hit their back and I groaned slightly not able to resist in my exhausted state. The poison they had injected was slowly working its way through my system, slowing down my nervous system.

All I could see through my blurry vision was two dark figures and the outline of a dense forest far away. My body was aching and my blood felt like it was on fire. My mouth was as dry as a dessert and my breathing was shallow.

I groaned once again and felt a sharp sting on the side of my face. My reaction was slow even though I knew one of them had slapped me. I heard a male voice, it was distant, but I could make out that he told me to shut up. I didn't have the energie to retort or fight back, but if I did that son of a bitch would've been done for.

I could feel that my hands were bound with silver due to the constant burn around my wrists. I wanted to scream at them, hurt them or kill them. They took me away from my pack, who knows what they might've done by now. I needed to know if they were safe... If Matthew was safe...

They must have realised by know and were probably worried sick. If I know them at all, their busy with a plan to rescue me from Perceval.

Do they know I'm here? Shit! Do they know?

Suddenly my surroundings became darker as we entered a tunnel leading underground. As we decended downward on the concrete stairs oil lamps were glowing with an orange aura that barely lit up the dark hole we had entered. Once we were on solid ground I could see where I was.

Wrought iron caged lined the walls with cold grey concrete floors. Inside the caged were prisoners, they leaned up against the bars to see the newest victim that would be joining them. The place reeked of blood and filth, the walls glinted due to the dampness and I could see mold growing on them.

I felt sick as we passed the cells on our way to my own. I tried to scream, but nothing came out as the poison was constricting my vocal cords. I must have looked completely paniced because one of the two figures grabbed my face and spoke to me.

"See these pathetic prisoners, Your Highness? These are all your little people you try so desperately to protect and yet they still end up in our dungeon. What does that say about you?" he mocked before he let go with an evil smirk. His cold touch lingered on my cheeks not going away instantly as I had hoped. All I could do now was glare daggers at him, but that just made him even more cockey.

We made it to my cell and the guy carrying me took me off his shoulder and basically threw me into the cage. I could barely catch myself from hitting the ground and I could hear them laugh. One of the others atleast took off the silwer cuffs that were keeping my hands bound, they then locked me inside and left.

I moved towards the back of the cell and propped myself up against the concrete wall which the cages were connected too. Unlike our prison which were concrete holding cells with one steel door there's were more old fashioned with iron bars as the only devider between cells. Each cell had a mattress that was on the floor, shackles that were bolted to the back wall and an old rusty bucket, like we were living in 15th century England.

In the cell next to mine, on the left side, I could see a girl lying on a thin mattress. Her back was towards me so I couldn't make out any of her features accept that she was incredibly skinny and that she wore a dirty shirt and a pair of shorts.

On my right was a guy leaning with his back against the front bars. He was looking at me with a look of exhaustion, dark circles under his brown eyes and sunken cheeks. He had broad shoulders and was atleast a 6'4 in height.