Chapter 16 - Routine Check

*Matthew*

~ 4 days later ~

It's been four days since the first time I had the training session with Alexandra. And the past few days she seemed a bit more comfortable around me and spoke about commen problems in the pack, but was still careful when it came to conversations involving personal information. But I understood the reason for her behaviour and usually dropped the subject.

As for the training, we still went out at midnight careful that no one would see us. The third night we had a close call when one of the warriors saw us going into the woods and followed us, but Alexandra quickly thought of a plan and told me what I had to do.

I had to act like one of the pack and 'take orders' from her and run in the opposite direction to seem like I was in a hurry. But I hid behind a tree just out of sight as Alexandra told the warrior what she was doing and sent him back.

Actually that was the nice way of putting it. What really happened was that she yelled at him for questioning her and her actions. And he walked away, his head slightly bowed out of shame.

When we started training we usually trained for about two hours. And after the third and forth night I could see my strength return and changes in my technique. Alexandra even admitted that she could see me getting better.

After training we would sneak back to Lisa's house where we would talk for a little while and then Alexandra would go back to her house. Then we would get some sleep before the next day.

But the past few days followed the same routine every day. Which was waking up and go downstairs. Eat breakfast then move to the small library for the rest of the day. At midnight was training and afterwards sleep. And the next day was repeating the cycle.

It became second nature and I couldn't break it so when Alexandra suddenly came in the middle of the day it was a bit of a surprise, to say the least. She was panting, out of breathe, obviously she had ran here. She had a stern look on her face which probably meant she had news.

But without thinking I sarcasticly, no,  stupidly say," Are you doing a routine check on me, now?"

She glares at me and then Lisa came walking in just in time before Alexandra could reply to my idiotic question.

"Alexandra, what happened? Is everything all right?" Lisa immediately asks her disregarding the daggers Alexandra was glaring at me.

"Actually, Lisa, I have something to tell you. Right now," Alexandra replies finally looking away from me, the seriousness returning to her eyes as she spoke.

The three of us moved to the living room where we sat down to talk. As we sat down I couldn't see any emotion in Alexandra's eyes before she spoke.

"Lisa, a few nights ago, the night we spoke about Elijah and Levi, I called Elijah," she paused and I could see Lisa straightening her back almost as if she was uncomfortable after hearing what Alexandra said.

"I see, and if I might ask... why?" Lisa asked and Alexandra sighed as she looked down.

"I... I actually don't know why I called him, I had the sudden urge to do it and I couldn't ignore it. So I called him, he picked up and we spoke for awhile about a few things. I asked about his business, he asked about the pack and..." she hesitated for a moment.

"He told me that he was planning to surprise me, but seeing as I had called him he told me anyway... He said the surprise was that he would be coming back home," she looked down and turned the ring on her finger.

I was confused as to why she looked so unhappy and ashamed," But Alexandra, isn't that good? Your brother is coming back so why do you look so disappointed?"

I looked at Lisa and she seemed confused to, then Alexandra said," I'm really happy he's coming, but there's a problem."

"What's the problem?" Lisa asked still confused.

"He told me that he would be coming back home on Wednesday. The same day as the trial," she looked at us with a sad expression.

I realised the problem and heard Lisa sigh next to me, clearly frustrated with this news. Alexandra wasn't making eye contact and that was a sign that this was hard on her too.

Then it hit me, I'm the one causing the problem. I'm the one causing people frustration and hardship. If I hadn't come here no one would be in this situation. The thought of being the cause made me feel ashamed of myself. This meant I had to think of a solution and hundreds of possibilities to solve it filled my head.

"Matthew..." I heard Alexandra's voice calling me and it made me stop thinking and listen.

"If your blaming yourself, please stop right now. If you start going down that road of blame there's no turning back. Trust me, I know because I've been down there. As for my brother, we'll find a way to deal with it. Just like we found a way with your trial," she told me and gave me a sad smile.

"She's right, Matthew, this is just another hurdle we'll have to overcome and move on to the next one," Lisa stood up and patted my shoulder, giving we the same sad smile as Alexandra had.

"I'll be in my room if you need me, I just need some time to take in all the new information," she said walking away.

Alexandra stood up and sat next to me on the sofa. I couldn't look at her because I felt guilty, but she used her hand and turned my head to look at her.

"Alexandra, I don't even know why I'm here except for causing one problem after the next. I should be in a cell waiting for my trial not here living like I deserve special treatment because I'm your mate. I'm sorry that you had to end up with a lowlife like me, you deserve a king which I'm not," I finally spoke.

She took a deep breathe,"No, you are not the one causing the problems. It's me because if I had listened to you from the beginning and took the signs of the matebond seriously we wouldn't be here. We would already be happy and wouldn't have to worry about anything. And if the pack and I weren't as against rogues as we are you would never had to get hurt. Why would I want a king when I just need a honest and kind man. We just needed to give you a fair chance. I needed to give a fair chance."

As she looked down I could see a few tears in her eyes. I lifted her chin up and put my hand on her cheek, using my thumb to wipe away the tears as they rolled down. She leened into my touch closing her eyes and softly sighed. I leened forward and kissed her forehead.

Then I pulled her to my chest holding her in my arms before I quietly said,
"I guess we're both at fault in this situation."

I could feel her gripping my shirt as I placed my hands on her back. She calmed down making her breathing soft.

Then I heard her say softly," I promise you, Matthew, we'll get through this together. I'll make sure of it."

Then I reply," I know you will. I trust you, Alexandra."

♤♤♤

Hello everyone, I hope you had a great day. School started a week ago and everything is just hectic. I know it's quite a big time skip (4 days, like what the hell! I'm so lazy :') )

Anyway, I hope you liked the chapter please vote, comment and share.

Love you guys♡
Thea