Chapter 18 - Whiskey and Kindness

*Matthew*

"Are you serious? She kissed you? Why didn't you kiss her?" Lisa asked between laughing.

Tears were rolling down her cheeks as she laughed at what happen the afternoon between me and Alexandra.

"No, I thought she wasn't ready, so she caught me completely off guard. Well, only the first kiss, but the second one I could see coming," I say trying to catch my breathe after laughing.

I finally calm down a bit and took a sip of my whiskey, Lisa had poured for me. She told me her husband used to keep a stash of it hidden just for himself if he had a hard day, but she'll find it and pour a few glasses for herself.

"Let me get this straight, she had to go to the east border because something happened there?" Lisa asked.

"Yeah, her Gamma knocked on the door, so I went up stairs to the library, but before I closed the door I heard him say that she has to go there immediately," I explain to her taking another sip.

Lisa nodded her head and poured a little more whiskey. "I hope it's not something to bad, she's so stressed. But if it's really bad you can bet she won't be in a good mood tonight. Hell knows, she might not even come."

And on that que the front door opens and Alexandra appears from the hallway, clearly irrated.

"Those fucking rogues," Alexandra says aloud. She walks to the counter and takes my glass of whiskey and drinks it.

"Wait, what what did they do? Are they the reason you had to go to the east border?" Lisa asked.

"Yeah, how do you know it was the east border? Who told you?" Alexandra gave her a questioning look.

I looked towards Lisa expecting her to tell Alexandra that I told her, but she just said,"I was woken up by the knock and I heard you talking to Xander."

"Anyway, the reason I had to go was because rogues attack that borderline. When I got there a few of my best warriors and guards were dead, killed by rogues," Alexandra said with a serious face.

"How did the guards not see them coming? They must have smelled them, the found Matthew," Lisa said.

Alexandra took the bottle off the counter and poured a little more whiskey. "Their scents were masked with our own, Matthew's wasn't, that's why we found him and not them."

"Witch?" I asked because it was the most obvious answer.

Alexandra shook her head,"Could be, but if you don't mind I don't want to talk about this tonight. I just can't think about this right now."

The she drank the last of her whiskey and put the glass down. Then I said, "Yeah, of course. Are we still training tonight?"

"I can't tonight, I want to show Avery something," she said apologetically.

"But, just so you know, I think you're ready for the trial. You've been working hard and it shows. You deserve tonight off," she said with a smile.

"Do you really think I'm ready?" I asked with a smile.

She leaned forward on the counter and she replied, "I know you're ready."

I had forgotten Lisa was in the kitchen too until she asked, "Are you going to give Avery her present? You know the one you made."

Alexandra stood up straight again and said, "Yes, I thought it would be better that she starts using it than being at home when Matthew and I are living there."

Lisa nodded, "That's a good idea. I think she'll really like it, you've worked very hard on it. Since the time she got here, wasn't it?"

Alexandra smiled, "Yeah, I hope she likes it."

I was totally lost about what they were talking about so I asked, "What are you talking about, if I'm aloud to know ,of course."

Alexandra chuckled then said, "It's not that big of a deal. When Avery first came to this pack she had no home so I took her in, I was eighteen at the time and she was twelve. But at that time I knew she wouldn't want to stay with me for the rest of her life."

I nodded and she continued, "I was busy studying architecture from the age of sixteen, so I decided I'll design her, her own house and that it would be built by her eighteenth birthday which is in a few weeks. And I guess I'll be giving it earlier because you'll have to come and live with me if you finish the trial."

I never knew Alexandra could be so kind. The way she took in Avery and built her a house. That she wants me to come and live with her when the trial is over.

Then I said, "That's really kind of you, helping Avery. And to be honest, I can't wait to meet her, she seems so nice and understanding. But that day she visited Lisa, when I hid in the library and she came in. Just thinking about what she would've done if she found me scares the shit out of me."

After I said that Lisa and Alexandra just busted out laughing. The Alexandra said inbetween laughs, "Trust me, she would've fucked you up real good. She doesn't like rogues at all."

We were all just laughing when the front door opened again. Then Conrad and Raymond emerged from the hallway.

Conrad then said, "We can hear you laughing from outside."

Raymond then asked with a smirk, "What did we mis? It better be good."

Alexandra looked at them and said, "It's been a tough day, guys. Let's pour ourselves some whiskey and have a night off from what happened today."

Conrad and Raymond both shrugged then Conrad said, "Sounds good to me."

♤♤♤

Hey guys. Happy Valentine's day!! Hope you have a great day! (I know it's tomorrow but anyway)

Anyway... I hope you liked the chapter please vote, comment and share.

Love you guys
Thea♡