Chapter 23 - Truth Betold

"Better to be slapped with the truth than to be kissed with a lie."

*Alexandra*

The trial was finally over and yet I still had bigger problems to worry about. Not only was Matthew pretty badly hurt, my brother was still on his way back here.

Matthew and I sat in one of the hospital rooms as Mason cleaned his wounds. I held his hand as Mason cleaned the last wound on his face.

"That ought to do it. Your jaw will need some time to heal so give it another day or two. The burn marks around your waist and wrists will be fine in a couple of hours. So, please, no fights until you're fully healed," Mason said as he removed his gloves and looked in my direction.

"Don't worry, Mason, I'll take good care of myself. After all, Alexandra will be there to make sure I do so," Matthew assured him then looked at him.

I smiled and nodded, handing Matthew his shirt so we could go home. I had texted Conrad earlier to bring over my Land Rover so I could drive back.

We left the room and walked back to the front of the hospital, where Conrad stood holding up my keys.

"Parked right outside. I'll see you tonight when he's here. I am still invited, right?" Conrad asked handing me the keys.

"Yeah, we'll need you there to keep the conversation going and incase he tries fighting Matthew," I explained and he nodded his head.

"Then I guess we'll be off. Matthew will need some rest after what happened today, if he's to meet Elijah tonight," I told Conrad and he once again nodded.

I started to walk Matthew caught my wrist and said, "I'll be right with you, I just need to speak with Conrad real quick."

I replied with a nod and went to the door to wait for him. I watched as they spoke, both of them looking serious as if it was an urgent matter. Matthew did most of the talking, I decided I wouldn't try and listen in because I didn't want to be seen as curious. Finally their conversation was over and the shook each other's hands.

Matthew came towards me and together we left the hospital. The car was parked, not to far away and I unlocked it as we got closer. I got in the driver's seat and Matthew in the passenger's. I started it and reversed out of the space and drove out of the parking lot.

At first the drive was silent, but then Matthew asked, "Could you tell me about him? Elijah, I mean."

I couldn't help the smile that appeared on my face. Matthew seemed so shy when he asked this question, it was actually quite sweet. He probably thought I wasn't going to like it if he asked questions.

"Where can I begin? Elijah was never someone who fit in around here. He wasn't exactly fighting material, he was a great fighter, but he didn't like hurting people. That's why he didn't want to be alpha, he didn't see the point of hurting his own kind," I started to explain.

"You said he opened a business in Italy. What does the business do?" he asked.

So I continued, "The business is a trading company between supernatural powers. We, werewolves, could trade with vampires and other species. It's like an underground route. Now he has companies across every continent, but he stayed in Italy because it's where his biggest company is."

He was silent for a second before he asked another question, "At the trial, you said to the guy that he shouldn't disrespect his queen. What did you mean? You never told me you were royalty."

I sighed, "You weren't suppose to find out like that. I wanted to tell you myself, but seeing the circumstances you had to find out. I didn't want to burden you with that too. I never wanted to be queen, but it came with the title of being the strongest pack."