37

AUBREY

You know that feeling you get when you know that nothing good could ever come out of your current situation? I was feeling the exact thing... I was really trying so hard to be positive, praying and hoping for a miracle as I paced in the hospital hallway, trying so hard not to break down and cry.

Alice and Jullie were doing just that as they tried to comfort each other with hugs, My mom was also there. Carmen and Lilo had to stay back with Max. Drexel and Davy had gone out a few minutes ago to get coffee for us... But trust me,  coffee was the last thing on my mind right now...

  I refused to blame karma for this, I blame myself... If I hadn't pestered him on going to see what the hell was going on, he wouldn't have gotten three bullets to his chest...

It happened like a flash of lightning, and the funniest part was that it felt like the shooter was after him personally.

This was initially all my fault. If I hadn't agreed with him about taking a walk on the night of our wedding, we would still be at our reception party.

But no, I agreed, and now- here we are, waiting for Tyler's operation to be done and over with...

It was taking too long, I needed to know if he was okay, he must be okay! I'll never ever forgive myself if he doesn't come out okay... Never.

"Aubrey dear... You need to sit down." My mom called out for me, but I ignored her as I prayed silently.

"Aubrey, your mom is right, you need to calm down." Alice backed up.

I shook my head several times, biting back tears from my tear-filled eyes. "I can't calm down knowing full well that Tyler's in there fighting for his life... I can't."

"We're all worried... But you need to be in the right state of mind when the police come to take your statement about what happened... Okay?" Alice said again.

"I don't care about the police," I wiped a tear that escaped my eyes harshly... "I just want to know if he's okay... I need him to be okay."

Alice walked up to me and placed her hand on my shoulder, feeling a wave of emotion hit me, I turned to give her a hug as I cried on her shoulders. "I can't lose him, Alice, I can't lose him when I only just got him... This is not supposed to be happening."

Alice stroked my messy hair. "We can't control our destiny, Aubrey... Let time tell."

"But why? Why is this happening? Why do we have to always jump from one battle to another."

"I seriously can't answer that question, Aubrey, you just need to calm down."

"Miss Aubrey Chandler?" A stern voice called out my name, I looked up at the person to see that he was in uniform.

"No, it's Mrs. Bresfort." I corrected.

"Mrs. Bresfort, can I take your statement now? Are you calm enough to give me the details?"

Am I? Hell no, but I would really want to put whoever shot him behind bars and that strange woman who screamed too.

She disappeared from the scene immediately after Tyler got shot.

"Y-yes."

"Good. Can you tell us what happened?" The officer asked.

I sniffed, hugging my arms to my body. "Well, we were walking and we heard screams, I convinced Tyler to go check out what was happening- um- when we got there, we saw a woman, crying, and she looked scared too... Then there was this other guy, he was- he was dressed in all black, his face was covered...I couldn't see his face at all, he had a gun pointed directly at Tyler... It looked like he was initially aiming for Tyler- that's when he shot him... I didn't know what to do, I called for help and- here we are..."

The man took note of everything I said. "Can you describe this woman?"

"Um- I don't think so, I didn't really study her, but she had a tattoo on her wrist, I uh- It was like a- bird with an arrow."

"The Hawks." Davy's voice resounded from behind me.

The policeman looked in his direction.

"I'm detective Davy," Davy said as he earned a weird look from the police officer.

Davy ignored it... "The Hawks are a remote group. Their logo was a bird with an arrow."

"The Hawks are no longer in action anymore, they were all killed, Alfonso made sure of that," Alicia said.

"What are they about? What are the Hawks about? Are they some kinda Mafia crew or something else?" The officer asked.

"Actually no. They were all about taking over vino... They were very dangerous, and my late husband, Alfonso, took care of them and collected the parcel." Alicia responded.

"I thought the parcel was passed from generations?" My mom popped into the conversation.

"Yes, but it got stolen during the time if Tyler's grandfather, The Hawks stole it," Alicia answered.

"But why? What does the parcel have to do with taking over Vino and why the hell did they have to attack Tyler?" I found myself asking.

"What is this parcel you all are talking about? Is it a threat to Vino da Vinci? Should we call in the Vinci house and alert the squad?" The officer asked.

"No, there's no need for that... You've gotten your statement, we'll take care of the rest, you guys do your job and find out who that shooter is... My men will bring in the security footage to your district." Davy said as we watched the cop nod and  walk away.

I sighed. "I don't understand any of this."

"I'm quite surprised that the Hawks are still operating. After everything Alfonso did to stop them." My mom said.

"Are they planning on taking over Vino? Do you think Alessandro knows about this?" I asked.

Davy shrugged. "Alessandro can't be working with them if at all, he should be running from them 'cause they would be after him since he's in possession of the parcel."

"This is not good, the Hawks are bad news," Alicia said with worry.

"I'll go and see what I can find out, alert me on anything new," Davy said before walking towards the exit, already pulling his phone out for a call.

Alice and my mom fell into a conversation about the Hawks while I just stood there, staring at the door that separated me from Tyler with just one question on my mind.

Why the hell did the Hawks attack Tyler Knowing fully well that the parcel wasn't in his possession?

The door to the ICU flew open suddenly, revealing the doctor that had gone in a few hours ago.

My heart jumped in my chest as Alice, Jullie and my mom came to stand behind me.

"Doctor, how- how_ is he? Is he okay?" I asked him.

The doctor had that look on his face, but I choose to ignore it.

"How is he?" Jullie asked.

The doctor gave a sigh...

That was exactly when I knew I wouldn't get the reply that would be in my favor and the next thing he said, assured me that my suspicions were correct and it also made my world crumble beneath my feet while it was at it.

"We tried all we could... But he didn't make it, I'm so sorry for your loss Mrs. Bresfort."