14 The Bodyguard

I moved to stand up and Louis did as well, but he kept me from dashing forward saying, "Stupid imbeciles keep thinking they can sneak onto my property unnoticed."

"Let's go see who it is." I spoke up urgently, tugging on his wrist.

"No, my men will handle this. Though I should make sure they take care of it properly this time." He answered and started hurrying in the direction of the shouting.

I hastened to match his quick pace and wondered if perhaps someone from the palace had come for me. If they had, I doubted there would be only one person. Maybe more were coming. Maybe they knew where I was now and it wouldn't be long until I was rescued.

As we left the thicker part of the gardens and started across the neat lawn with the mansion in view, I caught sight of the ruckus. Louis continued to pull me toward the house, but I wanted to see who was trespassing.

As I craned my neck, I noticed countless men with guns running across the lawn to our right, chasing one lone man. He was booking it across the grass straight toward Louis and I. I squinted hard and my mouth opened.

No...it couldn't be.

It was—I'd recognize my muscular black bodyguard anywhere. He was taller than all of the other guards and had a body built for excessive exercise. I gasped out loud and shouted frantically. "Felix!"

Louis wrapped his free arm around my waist and started to drag me away.

"No! Let me go! It's Felix, he's alive! They're going to shoot him!" I screamed as I hit Louis with my fist.

"Aria, stop! Leave it be and come inside." Louis demanded.

"No! Don't let them hurt him! Please, Louis!" I begged as I wiggled out of his grip and yanked on the cuffs even though it hurt excruciatingly.

Louis' men had converged on Felix by this time and he was on his knees with their guns pointed at his head. He clearly had heard me scream and was looking my way.

"Dammit, Aria." Louis growled.

"Don't hurt him!" I screamed out. "Please I'll do anything! Don't let them shoot him..."

Louis grabbed me, forcing my back into his chest and he clapped a hand over my mouth. "Hold your fire!"

The men all turned to look at us and Felix looked entirely concerned for me. Louis walked us forward until we were close enough to speak normally. Felix searched my body for injuries.

"Princess, I meant to rescue you." He spoke up, but one of the guards slammed the butt of his gun into his head.

"No, don't!" I cried and Louis had to hold me back.

"Lock him up. Do not kill him. I will be down in a while." Louis ordered.

"I thought you were dead." I burst out, tears of relief pouring from my eyes.

Felix weakly lifted his head and nodded. "I made a vow to protect you, my lady."

When the same man moved to hit him again, I lashed out. "If you dare hurt him again you'll be sorry!"

The guard simply snorted and rolled his eyes, hitting Felix anyway and Louis started to pull me away.

"Please tell them not to hurt him." I begged Louis.

"He's a trespasser. Usually I shoot them where they stand, but thanks to you, I had to appear weak and keep him alive. So I can't stop them from hurting him." He replied bluntly and forced me to walk with him back to the house.