21 Then We Were Wed

I refused to speak to Louis the entire ride home. Everything just sort of felt like a dream the whole way back to the mansion. Before I knew it, we had arrived and Louis was helping me out of the vehicle as I tried not to trip on my dress and fall flat on my face.

"Why don't you take a moment and go upstairs to freshen up?" Louis suggested gently, probably sensing I would burst into tears any second.

I swallowed hard, avoiding eye contact with him and nodded. We went inside and he left me to walk up the stairs by myself. I picked up the long white material of my dress and began making my way up the wide marble steps.

He called up after me, "Join me right here in thirty minutes. Please keep your dress on."

I didn't respond and instead hurried up the rest of the stairs and ran down the halls, finding my room and bursting through the door. I slammed it closed and locked it, leaning back against it. I didn't want to cry, because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to stop. So I just let one tear fall and I ran to my bed, throwing myself onto it and curling up into a ball.

I remained there for a long time, unable to think about anything except for the fact that I was married to him. I didn't know how to deal with it. I had no one to turn to for comfort or encouragement. I was simply, alone.

Despite Louis' orders, I went to my closet to change after a while. I didn't care what he said. I didn't want to wear this reminder that I was now his. But when I entered the large walk in closet, I found it empty. I stood there in confusion for a moment until I realized.

He expected me to stay in his room from now on.

I heard the door open across the room and I peeked out of the closet, seeing Quinn.

"Time to go down and meet Louis." She said, looking sympathetic.

"I don't think I'm ready." I whispered.

She walked over and tugged me out of the closet before enveloping me in a tight hug. I hugged her back because I wanted to be comforted, but I knew she wasn't on my side. She would do anything for Louis. I stared at the wall with dry emotionless eyes. I wasn't going to cry. I was the princess of Verdelle and I needed to be strong even in the hardest of situations.

"Let's go." Quinn prodded and led me out of the room.

I allowed her to lead me through the halls to the grand staircase where I spotted Louis waiting at the bottom. When he saw me he smiled a little, gesturing for me to come down. I let go of Quinn and raised my nose, stepping down the stairs slowly. I met him at the bottom and ignored the arm he offered.

"Are you hungry? It's time for lunch." He said casually.

"May I stay in my room?" I asked, ignoring his question.

"What?"

"At night. I want to stay in my room." I clarified, hoping he would find some sort of humanity and let me sleep alone.

He sighed. "You'll be sleeping with me from now on."

"But-"

"Come Aria." He took my hand and pulled me forward down the hall toward the dining room.

I fell silent, knowing nothing I might say would change his mind. Maybe I should have fought harder, but what was the use? He managed to get me to marry him; he could easily make me sleep in the same room as him.