41 One I Can't Live Without

• Louis' POV •

Before Aria, I hadn't ever cared about the feelings of other people. I had deliberately turned off my ability to be empathetic because my line of work demanded it. But now that I'd married Aria and spent the last year falling in love with her, I had finally found the empathy that had been lost for so long.

It pained me to see her so devastated over the loss of her mother. Although my own mother passed away when I was little, I still remember the pain I felt and could imagine what Aria was going through.

After I'd woken early the next morning, I decided to let her sleep. She must've been exhausted from yesterday so I quietly got dressed and left her alone. I was also worried that we might have to leave the mansion quickly if Mason ratted me out. If that was the case, I had plenty of preparing to do.

I found Harry in the downstairs lounge watching TV. Entering the room, I took a seat beside him.

"Have any news for me?" I asked.

"Well, the news channels don't know much about what's going on with your dad. I'm sure the royals are keeping that under wraps until they've officially sentenced him. But apparently the king had a close call with a heart attack last night. He's fine, but not doing well." Harry explained.

"Fùck. Aria can't lose him too." I mumbled.

"The funeral for the queen is tonight." He said.

I hadn't thought of the funeral. Aria would want to go for sure, but it would be too dangerous. Sneaking her into the palace a second time on such little notice would be suicide. For our wedding I had years to plan it, not a day.

"Keep the funeral a secret for now." I said quietly, but I felt like a horrible husband for saying it.

He nodded, shutting the TV off when the Prince Silas Channel came on before speaking up again, "I've made sure every sentry along the road is keeping a look out for guards heading this way. We've got eyes in the sky and a few in the palace. We'll be informed as soon as possible if we need to evacuate."

"Good." I murmured my approval. "It's more than likely we'll have to leave. Mason knows almost every property I own and since he won't ever be escaping the palace, I have no doubt he'll get back at me by telling the royals exactly where to find me."

Harry sighed glumly. "I was afraid of that. Where will we go?"

Swallowing hard, I shrugged. "We can't all go together, obviously. Everyone will have to scatter and find their own way. I'll take Aria with me. When things have died down and Mason's undoubtedly executed, I'll bring everyone together again."

"But...you'll bring me with you too, right?" Harry asked, looking at me seriously.

I shook my head. "I'll leave with Aria only. You can join me later. I just...I just need some time with her alone."

I was vague with my plans, I didn't want anyone to know my exact intentions–in case I changed my mind...

He seemed disappointed. "Oh...okay."

"And anyway, all this is only if Mason gives our location away." I sighed deeply and stood up. "Make sure everyone is prepared to leave at a moments notice. Anyone caught here will surely be imprisoned or worse."

"Yes, sir." Harry answered with his eyes downcast.

I left the lounge to check on the security cameras I had positioned all around the property and along the country roads leading here. Making my way through the house, I arrived at the small security camera room and went right in. I found two of my men sitting watching the screens.