37 Soft Louis

• Louis' POV •

"What exactly are we doing again?" Harry asked quietly from beside me.

"We're making sure Mason doesn't attack the royal family." I said.

He and I were positioned on the sixth story of a hotel in town, each with a pair of high power binoculars as we stared out the giant window in my room. We were watching the palace. I had been keeping the reason for this mission to myself, but I guess Harry was bound to find out soon enough as the second in command.

"Wait...I thought you wanted the royal family dead?" He frowned and slouched back against the couch we were lounging on in the darkened room.

The city lights from outside shone in, casting soft rays across the room, but not enough so that people outside could see in. We could spy on the palace undetected. The city was mostly quiet, being it was 11 PM, almost the prime time for mischief to begin.

"I've updated the plan. I'm keeping them alive." I mumbled, not looking forward to the disappointed outburst that would surely follow my statement.

However, he just shrugged. "I knew it."

"You knew it?" I repeated, scoping out the grounds around the palace for any suspicious activity. I heard rumors among friends in town that he might make a move tonight, and I was going to make certain he didn't.

"Yeah I did. Things you've said have led me to believe that you aren't going through with the plan. You're in too deep now, with her. I mean not literally...metaphorically. I mean you did go deep...in her. Um, never mind." Harry stuttered awkwardly and I rolled my eyes, but I was surprised that he wasn't upset about this.

"You're okay with this? We've all been working for years toward this endgame and I've decided to call it off. That doesn't affect you?" I turned to stare at him.

"Nah...whatever you want is what I want. If you change your mind, so will I." Harry answered softly.

I shook my head, pretending I wasn't as relieved as I was with his support. I looked through the binoculars again and studied the lit windows in the palace that didn't have curtains. Aria's bedroom window was dark as usual, but I could see into the king and queen's bed chamber. The fools didn't think to shut the curtains for privacy.

"You've always been loyal to me, Harry, unwaveringly. So I can't understand why you betrayed me by joining in Quinn's evil scheme to tear us apart." I couldn't keep the question in. It had been nagging at me for ever since that day.

Harry sighed, playing with his binoculars. "Quinn had told me only moments before you came into my room. I was going to run and tell you, but it was too late, you found us. I just didn't want all of your anger to be placed on Quinn, so I let you believe it was both of our fault."

I set the binoculars down and faced him, my stomach tensing with guilt. "You had no part in it? Don't you dare fûcking lie to me, Harry."

"I had nothing to do with it." He looked nervous as I stared at him.

"You swear?"

"I swear." He held up his hand. "I'd never do anything to disappoint you, if I can help it."

Shaking my head, I let out a breath. "I really hope you're not lying..."

"I'm not. Louis, I live for you. You've always known that. Even when we were kids, I've always had your back. Please mate..." Harry whispered sadly.

He looked so sad and remorseful that I couldn't hold it against him. I had to believe him. He'd been my friend for most of my life and yes, he'd always been there for me. I had suspected there was more to the story and I couldn't describe how relieved I was hearing that Harry had't been a part of drugging Aria. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.