44 When Everything Changed

• Louis' POV •

We made it to January. I was a little surprised about it. We hadn't seen another soul since we left my mansion; it was just me and Aria alone on the island. While it had been a couple of weeks and it was becoming more clear that we weren't going to be discovered, I found myself constantly frustrated and anxious.

I was frustrated because I didn't want to be here, I wanted to be in my home. After I gave up my dream of living in the palace, I had settled with the idea of remaining in my mansion with Aria by my side always. But now that could never happen.

And I was anxious because I was constantly afraid of seeing the palace guards headed across the lake towards us to take Aria home and me to my death. I couldn't relax and enjoy my alone time with her. I was simply too paranoid and I hated it.

I brought Aria outside one day for a walk around the small island during a break in the constant rain showers. I hoped to lift her spirits even just a little. Ever since the day her mother died, I hardly ever saw her smile. She seemed content with me, but she didn't seem completely happy. Something had to change.

She held my hand as we walked in the brisk air, our boots sinking in the sandy shore. Her shoulder kept bumping mine as she looked around at the fantastic view. I had a lot on my mind and I wanted to tell her everything I was thinking, but I was afraid to. The moment I did, everything would change.

"What should we make for dinner?" Aria broke the silence.

It was such a normal question, but it just seemed wrong. Everything was wrong. We shouldn't be here. Aria shouldn't be with me, of her own free will. I sighed heavily.

"Whatever you want." I muttered.

She squeezed my hand as she glanced up at me. "Something the matter?"

I frowned as we came around the bend and the boat dock and the lake house came into view. "A lot of things."

"What's bothering you?" She asked.

"I...I don't know if I'm ready to talk about it." I replied quietly, noticing the clouds overhead were growing darker. Another storm would probably hit any minute now.

She fell quiet for a moment until we were nearing the house, then she tugged at my hand, halting me. I wouldn't look at her so she cupped my cheek and guided me to face her. Worry filled her eyes as her fingers tried to smooth my furrowed brows.

"Tell me what's wrong." She requested gently.

Thunder rumbled in the distance and I swallowed hard, feeling a lump in my throat. "This isn't what I wanted."

"You're not happy?" She asked.

"This isn't the life I wanted and it's not the life I want for you. Constantly running and hiding, from your own family for fûcks sake. Just because I want you with me." I said, noticing a sheet of rain moving fast across the lake.

"Louis..." She said, her hand still resting against my face.

I removed her hand, my voice cracking as I said the words I didn't want to say, but needed to:

"I have to let you go."

• Aria's POV •

Startled, I went silent and stared at him in shock. I expected him to take it back and say he was joking, but he looked so serious. His eyes were focused on me steadily.

He gestured to the boat tied to the small dock nearby. "I always knew deep down that this would never work out. I don't expect you to love me after I made you marry me. Just go."