40 Bad News

• Aria's POV •

About twenty times I had walked to the closed door of the hotel, prepared to walk out. Each time I had turned around and returned to the king size bed. Something was keeping me there.

Once I knew the festival had begun, I switched the TV on so I could see what was happening out in the world. Two annoying announcers were narrating the day's events. The camera panned over the crowd once in a while and I kept an eye out for Louis. I spotted him in one shot standing beside Harry, but the camera quickly cut away.

I sat there for a while, watching the festival and listening to the obnoxious announcers describing everything. One of Louis' men, Brad, came in a couple times to bring me food. He even went to all the trouble to bring me the world famous cinnamon pie from the festival I loved so much.

At last, it was time for the speeches from my parents. Normally I would have been present, but not this year. I watched eagerly as they walked onto the stage, greeting the excited people. My mother looked so regal as always. My father seemed in good spirits, but he didn't look well just as mom had said.

When they were only a few minutes into the speech, I heard the door rattle, being unlocked. I was surprised to see Louis. I placed my pie aside. His expression was solemn and his eye was bruised, his lip bleeding. He looked as though he'd been in a fight with his wrinkled and torn clothing. He quickly noticed the TV.

"You're watching this?" His voice was distant as he moved toward the television.

Before he reached it however, the program ceased playing and static replaced it, as though something unplanned had caused them to stop airing the festival. Louis stopped, staring at the screen.

"We have to go." He said.

"What happened to you?" I asked, worry immediately filling me at his seriousness.

"Aria..." His eyebrows furrowed as he stared at the ground. "I couldn't stop him."

I froze, all kinds of horrible scenarios coming to mind. "Is my family okay?"

Coming over to me, he took my hand, pulling me to my feet. "No."

"What?" I cried, suddenly finding it hard to breath as I clutched my chest.

"I mean...they're all fine...except..."

"Except who?!" I demanded to know, grabbing his shirt.

"He shot the queen." His voice was barely above a whisper, his expression pained.

I was about to faint, unable to form words. I stumbled back, staring at him in shock as silent tears poured from my eyes. It couldn't be true. It just couldn't. A million years seemed to pass before the static on the television was replaced by a reporter with a microphone standing in the square.

"Breaking news. The entire kingdom has been rattled over the news that Queen Luna was shot during a speech at the Winter Festival. Paramedics arrived at the scene moments later and are fighting to save her life. It's not looking good for our valiant queen, but we all must keep her in our prayers and hope that she can pull through."

Louis moved to turn it off.

"No, don't." Was all I could get out as my feet gave way and I had to sit down on the bed. My body felt heavy and I felt like I was in another world.

"Sources say that the shooter has been apprehended, a sniper rifle being located in the same building he was found chained to. His finger prints matched those on the lethal weapon. The shooter has been identified...as none other than the infamous leader of the Blue Knights gang. There is no doubt, he will pay dearly for his crimes. I think execution is in order." The reporter was saying.