54 Two Choices

After an incognito trip back to the palace, my father, Louis, and I went secretly to the king's study. If we had openly left the prison, the crowd might have rioted, seeing Louis alive and it would have been dangerous for all of us. So here we were with the world still in the dark about the status of Louis' canceled execution. Soon though, they would find out and the riots would undoubtedly start.

Louis held my hand while we stood in front of my father's desk as the old man slumped down into his chair with a great sigh. I hadn't known what to say for the past thirty minutes, I was still in shock. Louis' hand in mine felt warm and reassuring and my shoulder instinctively leaned into him.

"I have conditions if you want to keep him alive. Two options for you to choose from." The king began, speaking to me.

"What are they?" I murmured, barely able to speak. I kept my gaze on the Verdelle insignia, a mask and two cinnamon sticks, adorning a golden medallion that hung around his neck, because the expression on his face made me nervous.

My father looked very serious as he leaned forward over his desk. "There is no way that I will allow Louis Tomlinson to be king of this land, or even a prince after everything he's done to my kingdom. Therefore, if your priority is to remain married to him, you both must leave the country and forfeit the crown to Finn."

Distraught, I glanced at Louis. The gravity of this news didn't quite hit me all at once, but I understood it. If we wanted to stay married, we'd have to leave and not come back. The king didn't look pleased telling me this. His eyes were sad. Obviously, he would be heartbroken if I chose to leave him, but he cared about me so much that he was still giving me the option.

"And the second option?" I hesitantly asked.

"If your priority is to remain in Verdelle and one day be queen, you must divorce Louis. He would either leave the country forever, or he would be allowed to stay here if you wish, but only as a servant, more specifically, a slave." He explained solemnly.

My head was reeling at the undesirable options we had. Give up my entire future as queen to stay married to Louis, or keep my claim to the throne but with Louis a slave and not my husband. When I looked to Louis for his thoughts, he avoided my gaze. I knew he wanted me to claim the throne one day. I wanted that too, but I also wanted him.

"I can't be queen and be married to him?" I frowned.

"I'm afraid not. He will never have a position of authority over anyone in this kingdom, ever again." My father said.

"You need to stay." Louis spoke up, turning to me. I didn't like his tone.

"But you'll be forced to be a slave." I replied.

"No, you have to stay here, Aria. Verdelle needs you and I'm not going to let you throw away the crown... But I'm going to go. I'll leave the kingdom and you'll stay here and carry out your destiny. You'll be better off without me." Louis said, glancing at the king who nodded in approval.

"What? No, that's not going to happen. Five seconds ago I thought I was going to lose you forever, don't make me go through the again." I stepped away from him, upset that he would even consider that.

"I'll be alive, just not with you. Listen, sweetheart. I don't deserve you. I'm a bad man and I've done terrible things worthy of death. Don't you see? This is best." Louis tried to make me understand and I did, but I didn't want to. Once again, he was making all the decisions.

I couldn't stop the tears that began to fill my eyes. I wanted to yell at him to stop telling me what was best, but he was right this time. I knew he was right and yet I had fallen in love with him. Not the lying thieving criminal he once was, but the new beautiful caring man I watched bloom over the past year. He was a crucial piece of my future that I needed in my life, even if we had to keep our distance as a royal and a slave.