48 Don't Underestimate Me

Louis and I lay together in my bed. He held me while I was snuggled up next to him, the morning sun streaming in through the windows. There wasn't anything that would make me feel more content than I did in that moment.

"What shall we do today?" He asked.

"I was thinking we could just have a relaxing day doing nothing. We've been so busy lately with royal duties, I just want to enjoy some time with you." I said, gently brushing a finger across the tattoos on his chest.

"Of course anything you want, love. My queen needs her rest." Louis kissed my forehead.

"I'm so happy." I sighed.

"Me too, baby. I love you so much." He replied.

"And I love you. I'm so happy you're with me and you'll never leave me. I don't think I could go on living without you." I said.

"You're going to have to." He responded.

"What?" I questioned in confusion, but just then I remembered how he had been imprisoned and sentenced to die. I couldn't remember how I'd gotten him out. "Lou."

When he didn't respond, I glanced up at him, but was greeted not by his face, but by Silas' face. I gasped and jerked back, but he kept a hold of me not letting me go.

"Let go! Louis!" I shouted, twisting my wrist in his grip as I struggled with the sheets which were tangled around me.

Silas smirked and didn't loosen his hold. "Don't be silly, you're my wife. Louis has been dead for ages."

"No!" I snapped out of the dream, waking up to reality. Taking deep breaths, I  noticed a strand of sunlight shining through a crack in the curtains. Instinctively, my hand reached to the left side of the bed where Louis should have been, but that area was empty and cold. "Louis..."

As soon as my memory returned, I immediately felt the familiar sorrow and anxiety kick in. The ball in my honor was tonight, but I couldn't look forward to it even though I should. The purpose of my life had changed so drastically since before Louis. Before, all I was working toward was my future as queen of Verdelle. But now I wanted more than that. I wanted Louis by my side, which was a lot to ask when the entire kingdom wanted him dead. How could I stay Verdelle's princess and have Louis at the same time?

I didn't have time to try to sneak down to the dungeons for most of the day. My father had countless things planned for me and I couldn't find a single moment to be alone. Silas was lurking everywhere I went whether it was during meals, meetings with important royals who wanted to welcome me back to civilization, or preparations for the ball. Every time I turned around, he was there watching me. But thankfully since I couldn't be alone, he didn't have a chance to be creepy toward me like yesterday.

It irked me that whenever the king was around, Silas would act like a complete gentleman. That twisted smirk of his would vanish and suddenly he was treating me with perfect manners and politeness, the complete opposite of yesterday. Did anyone else notice the darkness behind the mask of kindness he wore?

Eventually, I was forced to attend the ball. I didn't feel up to conversing with strangers and pretending that I was alright. Because inside I was mourning, not only over Louis, but my mother wasn't leaving my thoughts anytime soon either. Silas of course was my escort and it had already spread around to the entire kingdom that we were going to be married, so I prepared myself for the onslaught of questions about it.

I stood beside Silas with my arm lightly around his as the doors to the ballroom were opened before us. Taking a deep breath and imagining he was Louis, I let him guide me into the grand open space were all the guests were already gathered. Every face was turned toward us and I attempted to recall my princess training and gently waved to the crowd. The room was brightened considerably by the colorful fancy suits and dresses everyone wore.