39 It Wasn't Meant To Happen This Way

• Aria's POV •

In the fresh hours of the morning, when the sun had just risen, Louis started getting ready to go out. I was sitting on the bed wearing a robe watching him gather objects and stuff them into a backpack.

He wore a royal blue silk shirt with a matching coat. He looked quite attractive, as always. A bit of scruff was on his jaw and his clear blue eyes were steady whenever he looked over at me. He removed his famous masquerade mask from its special box and placed it into his backpack.

"You need your mask?" I asked casually, hoping he wasn't planning to get into too much trouble.

He looked up. "Uh, yeah. Just in case I need to make a public appearance."

When he added a handgun to the contents of the backpack, I crossed my arms. "Louis."

"I know, I know. No death. But I can't go without it. I've got to defend myself you know, unless you want me to die if there's trouble." He said dryly and zipped up his bag.

"I don't." I said quietly.

He slung the backpack over one shoulder and stepped over to where I was sitting. "I'll be back tonight. Don't leave this room..."

I could tell he was thinking hard about something, so I spoke up. "You aren't going to chain me up like last time are you?"

He looked into my eyes for a second and I saw uncertainty. He was probably afraid I might try to leave and I didn't blame him.

"No I'm not..." He sounded unsure.

Taking his hand, I squeezed it. "Things are different now. I won't leave you."

He exhaled and met my gaze. "I'm trusting you to stay. There will be someone who comes to check on you once in a while to bring meals and anything else you need. But please...don't leave."

Standing to my feet, I stepped up close to him and wrapped my arms around his neck. I kissed his lips softly and his tensed body relaxed.

"I'm happy, Louis. You keep doing things...simply to make me happy even when you won't benefit at all from it. And you could have even been captured by arranging that meeting. Last night with my mom, I'll never forget that you did that for me. I just...I need you to know that I'm very happy. With you."

The smile that lit up his face seemed brighter than the rising sun outside.

"I'm not going to leave you, Louis." I promised.

He pulled me into his arms in a tight embrace, simply holding me close to his body as if I might disappear. He seemed relieved by my words. "I hope more than anything that you mean that, because I love you...so fûcking much."

He stepped back, clearing his throat. "Unfortunately, my beautiful wife, I have to go now. I have a psychotic father to take down. So, I must bid you adieu. Lock the door behind me, love, would you?"

He left my side and went to the door. He glanced back at me once more before leaving the room and leaving me on my own. It only hit me once I was met by silence that he actually left me alone in a place that was easily escapable. I could walk out of this room and be rescued instantly. I could go back to my old life. I could return to my family, live in the palace, be a princess again.

So why did I sit back down on the bed instead and lean back against the headboard to read a book I had brought with me?

• Louis POV •

Harry and I had driven to City Square where the annual Verdelle Winter Festival was starting up. Several of my men were scattered around the square, keeping me posted through my earpiece. I had received a tip from my spies that Mason would be here today. I didn't know why, but I knew he'd be here. Hopefully he wasn't planning anything sinister. Practically the entire town would be present.