49 Phase One

• Aria's POV •

"Aria, what do you think you're doing down here? I thought I said you were forbidden to see him. And Finn? I expected more from you son." The king scolded as they came near.

"I'll see my husband whenever I like." I replied confidently.

"Tomlinson, step away from my daughter." King Bellamy commanded him.

My grip on Louis became even tighter while he tried to move away. Silas stayed at my father's side, but lurked in the shadows with a fake look of concern on his face. I burst out, "How did you know I was down here?"

"Prince Silas knew your whereabouts and informed me." The king said, boring a hole right through Louis with his scowl.

"Silas." I growled angrily as I glared at him. Louis was attempting to make me release him, but I wouldn't.

"Aria, come here." The king demanded.

"Not until you allow me to see him. But even if you don't it makes no difference. I'll find a way to see him anyway. You can't expect me to stay away from the man I love!" I exclaimed.

Louis managed to pry my hands off his clothes and he stepped away from me. I was upset that he moved to the other side of the cell, but I knew he was trying to appease my father. I couldn't seem to keep my head on straight in moments like this anymore. It was unlike me. Thankfully, Louis was being smart for me.

"Aria..." The king sighed, waving the guards away and they swiftly left the dreary dungeon. "Silas, could you give us a moment."

It was more of a command than a question. I noticed Silas tense in annoyance at being told to leave, but he obliged anyway. When we were alone with just the four of us, I stayed beside the cell as my father neared me. Finn kept his distance in the shadows, just watching like he normally did. It was silent for a moment as my dad looked from me to Louis several times, seeming to be in deep thought.

"You have to know I'm not trying to ruin your life." He began softly.

That's what it felt like he was doing, but I knew he was right. 

"As a king, I must put my kingdom first. If I let him out just for you, I'd be putting the lives of everyone in danger. I can't do that." He tried to explain and waited for me to respond.

He was being so calm. I expected him to react out of fear and drag me out of here and lock me in my room, because that's how he had been reacting ever since I returned. So I was caught of guard at his calmness.

"I understand, I really do, but Dad. You don't know him. I'm the only one here who has spent almost a year getting to know him. Yes, at first he was nothing but a criminal. But I've watched him grow out of that. He's a better person now and won't ever kill again. He's never physically hurt me and never will." I said.

I thought it would be wise not to mention when Louis once slapped me or when he made me bleed with the point of a knife. That had happened at the very beginning before everything changed. Louis wasn't that person anymore. I'd never heard of someone turning their life and priorities around so drastically until Louis.

"I can't just take your word for it, you know that." Dad replied.

"I know...but please, won't you give him a chance? Let me see him. I might never get to see him again after this week." I begged him. "Look at him. He isn't lunging at us through the bars and trying to kill us. He isn't dangerous."

My father looked conflicted as he stared steadily at Louis. "I don't know...I don't want you to be hurt."

"I'll be hurt if I'm kept from him, Dad, please. I love him." I whispered, taking his hand.