Twenty Two

Hoseok's POV

After the so-called friendly dinner, our friendship was never the same way again.

There were feelings forming between the two of us despite our short encounters. For some people, maybe it escalated too quickly.

But for us, what's important is that we're both happy with each other. That's what matters the most.

"Will you extend for a few more days?" Nanami leaned her head on my shoulder, clutching my hand and fiddling with my fingers out of boredom.

"I wish I could, but I can't. I'm sorry." I played with the ends of her hair, apologizing for the short notice of my leave.

We're not official because I haven't asked. The both of us have an internal agreement that we thought this was only going to be temporary unless we decided to take our friendship seriously to the next level.

To be frank, Nanami and I didn't have a label.

Just friends with some feelings for each other that won't last long.

That day, I only had two more days left to spend with her. I didn't want to make her feel like I only used her to kill my time in Japan while I was recovering emotionally. Nanami was someone to be cherished, a blooming flower that was yet to experience the best love story to have.

I knew then that I was only a stepping stone. The welcome mat.

At this moment, I was thankful that she came into my life not only for helping me move on and forget the hurt that I have experience in the past, but also seek happiness in other things as well.

Appreciating the whole forest and not just a single tree.

"Hoseok, stay with me for awhile before you bring me back to the dorm." Her voice came out as a whisper. A sad plead.

"Don't worry. I'll stay."