Twenty Seven

Megumi's POV

"Nanami!" I screamed only just a few feet away from her but she already saw the incoming truck towards her and was already at the sidewalk that second.

"Megumi! No! Get back!" The young girl yelled holding her hands in front of her in attempt to warn me but Hoseok was way behind me. He thought Nanami was not safe yet.

But I was already on the road, too late to realize that I should have stopped already.

Eyes closed and mouth shut tight, I prepared myself for what's coming towards me. I was going to die that day. At least, I saw Hoseok for one last time and was assured that he was going to be happy with Nanami.

Suddenly, I felt my body being pushed to the side and my eyes widened to see Nanami looking at me worriedly. Her hands were stretched in front of her.

Why did she..?

Then the truck made contact with her body, jerking it forward meters away from the spot.

I cried my heart out, screaming, "NO!"

Hoseok saw it all. He was standing behind me, witnessing everything that has happened before he could even interfere. I understand what he felt. He couldn't do anything to keep it from happening once again.

His heart shattered into pieces for the second time.

"Nanami!" He ran after her, asking for help from the crowd that was already forming. "911 please! Get the ambulance! Fuck, please don't die on me." He cradled her dying figure that was staring at him lovingly. She really did love him.

"Hoseok no.. It's fine." I heard her say and I couldn't keep my tears any longer. It was my fault that she sacrificed her life to protect me.

"No, no, we'll bring you to the hospital. Just hang in there, Nanami." Hoseok placed kisses on her forehead, crying silently to the girl in his arms.

Nanami looked at him for the last time before her body stilled.

That day, regret filled the walls of my heart.

It would haunt me.

For the rest of my life.