18. It Only Takes a Few?

A loud, persistent knock woke Mifune the night after Christmas.

He groaned, flicking the covers off of him. Who comes around at one in the morning? he wondered.

He contemplating changing, considering the fact that he only wore flannel pajama pants, but decided against it. He just wanted to know what was the matter, and who could be waking the entire neighborhood with their knocking.

The noise hadn’t ceased, and he trudged to the door, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. Everything was dark, but he knew his way around well enough to not fall flat on his face.

“You’re going to wake up--” he began, but stopped immediately upon seeing who was at the door.

It was Saki, her face red and tear-stained, and her mascara running horribly. She wore a nearly-sheer pink nightgown, and bunny slippers he thought she’d gotten rid of long ago. He watched as her lip wobbled and she stormed in, pacing the small living room. Mifune followed, turning on a nearby lamp. It bathed the room in a warm orange, and Saki cringed.

“What’s the matter?” Mifune asked gently.

Saki stopped pacing upon hearing him, her eyes fluttering shut. He could see the cogs turning in her brain, and could only guess her thoughts. Her eyes snapped open, shining green, and she spoke two words that changed everything.

“Kiss me.”

She practically jumped on him.

Saki’s lips crashed against his, and Mifune barely had enough time to process her movements. He sighed against her mouth, content. He had waited years to kiss her again, and it was finally happening. He could barely comprehend any of what was going on, and before he knew it, she had him pressed against the wall.

Her small hands moved up Mifune’s bare chest, finally resting around his neck. He kept his arms wrapped around her waist, crushing her to his body.

“What…about…Asher,” he panted between kisses.

“I don’t want to talk about him,” she said. “Just keep kissing me. Please.”

Mifune complied, taking over a bit of the control. He walked them to the couch, falling onto it. Saki landed on him, never breaking contact. She tasted of mint, alcohol, and caramel.

Wait…alcohol?

He broke the kiss, groaning as he did. “Saki?” he demanded. “Why do you taste like alcohol?”

It was a blunt question, and he knew it. Mifune figured that if she was drunk, blunt was good.

“I had a few drinks,” she answered, trying to bring her lips back to his, but he stopped her.

“Why?"

She bit her lip, tilting her head downward so that a few curls fell around her face. “Asher is dead.”