26. Another One Gone?

There was nothing.

Well, at least as Mifune was concerned. He could feel and hear things around him. The rush of air from an AC vent, the uncomfortable hospital gown scratching his body, and Saki’s consisted voice, begging him to come back.

Only, he couldn’t. No matter how hard he tried, none of his limbs obeyed his commands as he lay there, frozen.

So much for returning to normal.

“How is he, Mira?” Saki asked, eager for some good news.

“The same, Ms. Amaya,” Nygus said with a sigh. Her dark hair was a little out-of-whack, her blue eyes just a little bit dimmer, but otherwise, she seemed alright. “His body is unresponsive to any tests I run, yet his heart is still beating and his blood still flowing. His brain, however…”

“However?” Saki demanded, staring at Mifune.

He looked so vulnerable, so weak, a side Saki had never seen. His hair was ruffled and a little messy, blonde pieces flying every which way; his eyes closed as if dreaming. Surrounding him were machines that beeped or displayed colorful graphs, none of which Saki understood. The nurse’s office had expanded in size, all to make room for more patients with different complex conditions.

“Isn’t responding,” Mira continued, almost irritated. “If it weren’t for the slightest hair of a reaction, I would pronounce him braindead--”

“Braindead?” Angela whispered, walking in with Scarlett by her side, clutching her hand.

“Mommy!” Scarlett announced, running into Saki’s arms, who crushed the little girl tightly to her.

“Mr. Nagani is alright, dear,” Mira assured the witch, “as of now. If any further harm comes to him… there’s an extremely high risk of death--”

“Can we talk about this later, Nygus? Please?”

“Yes, of course. I’ll be on my way, then.” The woman left with a nod, shutting the door behind her.

Saki didn’t make the nurse stop speaking in sake of the children--but for herself.

She just didn’t think she could handle losing another.