22. Can't Stop Lovin' You?

Saki clutched at the note in her hands, her fingers trembling violently.

Why did everything have to happen to her?

Ms. Amaya,

You thought you’d gotten rid of me, huh? Sorry to disappoint you, but I am long from gone. I suggest you break off any ties you have with the Nagani family, or face serious consequences. You saw what I did to Asher, and I won’t even hesitate to do the same to your precious samurai.

Good luck.

Mifune hummed along with the tune of the music blaring over the speakers.

Angela had found Mifune’s secret selection of music and records, and wouldn’t stop playing Can’t Stop Lovin’ You by Van Halen. Mifune didn’t mind though, because it was one of his favorites.

You can change your friends, your place in life

You can change your mind

We can change the things we say

And do it anytime

Oh no, but I think you'll find

That when you look inside your heart

Oh baby, I'll be there

Mifune stopped humming, and listened to the words play back in his head.

They sounded eerily like his situation with Saki, for, after she had left, like the music said, he still loved her. The words moved him to the point of wanting to run up to Saki and demand she take him back, but he instead kept listening.

I just wanna hear you say

I can't stop lovin' you

And no matter what you say or do

You know my heart is true, oh

I can't stop lovin' you

Oh, I'm twisted and tied

And all I can remember

Is how hard we tried

Only to surrender

And when it's over

I know how it's gonna be

And true love will never die

His heart thumped in his chest as he listened some more, eager.

Maybe he should listen to the song. He was tired of Saki ignoring him--and what could become of them. He wanted, needed, to tell her the truth--that he still loved her.

“Angela, dear,” Mifune murmured, cranking down the music. “I’m taking you to Marie’s.”

“Why?”

“I’ve got something important to do.”

~

Author's Note:

Check out the link to listen to the song!

-Mrs_Nagani