Day 8: Confrontation

December 8th

It was time to buy Jirou a present. Or think about what to get her, at least. There were only sixteen more days left to get a gift, and that wasn't the end of the world. Yet, that only gave Midoriya about two weeks. Time doesn't exist in U.A. In the blink of an eye, it's like a week had already swept by unnoticed.

Midoriya had two options. One, to go for broke and get her something epic. Or two, actually get to know her and surprise her with a meaningful gift.

He decided to put off that conversation for later, because at the moment, Jirou and Kaminari looked too busy in conversation. They were swaddled in coats because the thermostat gave up on the commons room. They were laughing and having fun despite the cold. If Midoriya cut into their conversation just to center his time on Jirou, it would look suspicious. They hadn't ever interacted personally before, so that would be a dead giveaway that he was trying to get to know her just to get her a gift. But hey, Midoriya was always up for making friends as well!

For now, all Midoriya could come up with was getting her a brand new headset, or an MP3 player. But he also recognized that Jirou had both of those things. When he tried to think of more ideas, his brain felt like it tapped out. From there, he resorted to thinking of a Christmas present that Todoroki might like.

Those thoughts only altered to fantasizing about Todoroki. Maybe if he gave Todoroki a present, he would return that gift with one of those smiles that Midoriya found very cute. Then from there, maybe Todoroki would offer to take him on a date. To a cafe perhaps? As cliche as it sounded, it would be nice..

It must've showed on his face, because now a concerned Uraraka was shaking his shoulder. "Deku, everything okay? You've been staring at the wall for a long time now. Why do you look so happy? Did something happen?" 

Midoriya was completely embarrassed, to say the least. Since when had his mind ventured into that territory? Now that he touched his face, he realized he was blushing like mad. Hopefully he could excuse this as the cold temperature in the room making his face flush.

"Well.. I guess you could put it like that. You see, I've kinda been thinking.." Midoriya might as well come clean, right? Uraraka could keep a secret.

The air's frostbite died around them the moment Todoroki walked into the room. 

"Our savior!" Ashido cried.

Todoroki was partly on fire. "I was told about the thermostat issue. They're fixing it, but for now, it was requested that I heat things up."

"Thank god! It's been like the Costco's produce freezer room in here!" Kaminari exclaimed.

"There's a Costco in Japan?" Kirishima replied, now getting pumped up.

No wonder. It wasn't just the air that was beginning to heat up. Midoriya felt like he was sweltering from embarrassment, now that Uraraka had caught him staring off into space. Or, well, the wall in this instance, apparently.

Todoroki sat next to Midoriya's left so that he wouldn't accidentally set Midoriya on fire as well. Luckily he was able to control his ice side as he pleased, since turning Midoriya into an ice sculpture wasn't ideal.

"Izuku. I have something I want to discuss with you, but it must be private."

"O-Oh. Okay. When?" Midoriya's heart became a whole percussion band that crashed into chaos. What did Todoroki want?

"I was thinking we could go to a cafe as soon as the air conditioning works properly. I don't think we'll any time sooner," Todoroki responded.

"Yeah. That sounds great." Midoriya showed his best smile to mask all the internal screaming coursing through his soul. He had so much new energy and he didn't know how to handle it.

'WAIT. THIS WAS EXACTLY WHAT I HAD BEEN DAYDREAMING ABOUT EARLIER?'

Was Todoroki psychic or something? That excitement that was jetting through his heart had now been injected with anxiety. Quick, he had to stop overthinking this! If Todoroki indeed had the power to read his mind, then that would be an intrusion on his personal thoughts! Once again, his mind was spiraling and back on the cognition train. Not even someone like Todoroki could read his thoughts if they were chugging at this pace, not even Midoriya himself. Midoriya had to focus on anything but this. His eyes settled on the counter, then his hands, and then once he gathered his bearings, he made eye contact with Todoroki. Midoriya saw a light pink color dusting Todoroki's cheeks.

Hmm.