Day 21: Jirou's Gift

December 21st

Midoriya had almost recovered today. Three dark scars carved around his torso, but they didn't hurt. He requested his All Might hoodie that Todoroki had given him, and it covered his scars perfectly.

Another reason he loved this specific hoodie was because the sleeves grew over his hands. If his fingers got cold, it was an easy solution. They were slightly tinged purple, but no one would be able to tell unless it was pointed out.

Now that he had lengthy sleeves, it became his new weapon. Midoriya had been getting antsy lately, unable to move from his bed, so he'd get into play fights with Todoroki. They never actually hurt each other. It was mostly just tickling and gentle wrestling.

He lightly swung his arms, whipping Todoroki’s shoulder with his empty sleeves. “Shoutooo,” he whined. “I really need to go buy Jirou a present. How long do we have to stay here?”

Todoroki was about to tease him over the fact that he immediately wanted to get up and about after recovery, but this was Midoriya he was talking to. He didn't expect anything less from him.

“The doctors said you look good to go, but they're going to give you one more checkup in case.” Todoroki countered Midoriya’s sleeves by seizing both of his wrists. He pulled them towards his direction, and kissed Midoriya’s soft lips.

“Do you want to come with me?” Midoriya asked. “I'm probably just gonna head to the mall and look around for something Jirou might like.”

“That would be wonderful.” Todoroki dipped his head into a nod. “However, I feel as if your mother would force me to come if she were to know you planned on leaving. You don't really have any choice there, my Izuku.”

Midoriya grinned at the nickname. “Well, it seems as though I have a guardian to assist me on my quest,” he bellowed in his deepest voice. It was very identical to his All Might impression.

“In a world where my father reigns as king, it is my duty as the prince to protect a swordsman such as yourself. You are not aware of the dangers that lurk in the open.” Todoroki played right along with it.

“I may be a mere swordsman, but I wield a powerful sword that is beyond comprehensible! It can slay any danger that scuttles over my wake, my faithful prince.”

Todoroki laughed, breaking character. He gently kissed Midoriya’s cheek. “If we’re being honest, you wouldn't hurt a fly. Unless that fly happened to be a villain.”

Midoriya rolled his eyes. “Yeah. I think you're right.” He smiled. He lazily looped his arms around Todoroki’s neck, resting his head against his chest.

The pair stayed that way, until the doctors came and examined Midoriya about twenty minutes later. When he was told that he was okay, he stumbled onto his legs like a baby deer, already out the door. Todoroki thanked the doctors, and went after Midoriya.

Inko kissed the two boys on the cheek goodbye, once they were outside of the hospital. When she hopped into her car and plummeted into the ongoing traffic, Midoriya waved goodbye with his free hand, as his other was taken by Todoroki. At this rate, he and Todoroki were moving a lot faster than the cars were.

They arrived at the mall, Todoroki having to keep Midoriya warm with his quirk, which wasn't much of a problem. It wasn't very far, either. He loved to have more excuses to stay in physical contact with Midoriya.

“Now what would Jirou like..” Midoriya wondered aloud, his eyes scanning the shops around them. He was subconsciously sticking closer to Todoroki’s side. Last time he was here, he was practically getting strangled at Shigaraki’s calloused hands.

“She's really into music,” Todoroki offered. “Mostly heavy metal, emo, or 80s music.”

“I don't listen to any of those, except for 80s,” Midoriya confessed. “I've always grown up with gentle music. Definitely 80s. I lived with my mom.. she adored that music.” He laughed softly.

“80s is cool. I used to listen to it with my sister.” Todoroki adjusted his grip on Midoriya’s hand. “I'm sure Jirou would enjoy anything but country.”

“That's fair.” Midoriya laughed. Country music wasn't that bad, but it wasn't like he’d go out of his way to listen to it.

Midoriya gasped. “Shouto, I have an idea!” He was absolutely beaming, already dragging Todoroki to the nearest music store.

“..You were inspired by my country music statement?” Todoroki questioned.

“No. I was just thinking.. 80s is really old school, right? Jirou tends to express herself with music!” Midoriya smiled, holding the door open for him. “After you, my prince,” he teased, bowing.

Todoroki fondly rolled his eyes, stepping inside. “I appreciate your help, my swordsman.” After Midoriya grabbed his hand back, going inside, Todoroki asked, “I'm still not sure where you're getting at with the 80s idea.”

The store was packed with various albums and song artists all arranged on black shelves, and electric guitars were strung against the walls. To Midoriya, it reminded him of a hunter's collection of prized animals, but with guitars. The air was riffing with rock music, and he could barely hear himself think.

Midoriya rushed to the back of the store, getting two cases of fresh new CDs. One CD was dark blue, and it flashed green and pink streaks towards the ceiling if tilted. The other was a deep purple, and it flashed orange streams instead. If this appealed to Midoriya, it would definitely appeal to her. “She can put whatever music she wants on these. I think they have enough space to fit as many songs as she pleases. This isn't even the best part, though!” He jerked Todoroki’s hand, leading him to another section.

Finally, he reached the section that he was so desperately seeking.

“Boomboxes!” Midoriya shouted over the crashing music, grinning like a total idiot at Todoroki. “I mean, it's totally old school! She’d love it!”

Todoroki squeezed his hand. “Good work, Izuku. Which is the one you would like to pick out?”

Humming, Midoriya tilted his head like a confused puppy, inspecting each one individually. He grabbed a smaller one by the handle. “This one.”

The boombox had two craters for speakers, which were colored white. The handle was streaked with purple, and it tangled into a fight with other colors, such as blue and red. They all weaved together down the sides. Rainbow strips protruded over the slot where the CD was meant to fit.

“She'll love that,” Todoroki assured Midoriya. It looked like a hot mess of colors, but Jirou was that kind of person.

They went to the front of the store and purchased the items. When walking out, Todoroki held the door open for Midoriya instead.

“Sneaky,” Midoriya commented with a grin, and he walked out into the open.

“Shouto? I think I left my wallet inside..” He felt along the back of his pants, and his front pockets. “I'll take three seconds. Wait here for me, okay?”

Todoroki was hesitant, but he knew that Midoriya would be safe. He was simply running in and out. He didn't need a babysitter. “Okay. Want me to hold the bags?”

“Yes, please.” Midoriya dumped both of the blue plastic bags into Todoroki’s hands, and he kissed him to express his gratitude. “I'll be right back.” He zipped back into the store.

It was now time to commence Operation: Get Todoroki a Secret-Secret Santa gift. And he only had three seconds.