06 : decisions

"As you can see, I've chosen you to be my marionette. And this is the contract. There's two actually. Since you've already seen earlier, we are mafia members but not all Corona are mafia members. The first contract is just a normal marionette. We will provide everything you desire. Education, job, land, house and money. Anything. All you have to do is name it." Jennie pauses for a while before sliding another thin paper.

"The next is mafia marionette. Rest assured that your life is being insured by us. If we die, a quarter of our possession will be yours if you were there meaning you helped us with our business —."

"My family ?" Taehyung interrupted. "Anyone can take them as hostages and —."

Jennie puts her hand on top of his before continuing. "If you'd agree we'll move them where you can keep an eye on them, meaning we'll install a camera in their new house in a better neighbourhood. We don't recommend them staying at Hamgye though."

"I'm giving you at least a week to think this contract thoroughly. Your siblings can have better education and your grandmother can finally receive all the treatments she needs. But I'm warning you beforehand if you already become my marionette,  disobedience isn't recommended. I'm a ruthless person. I have cold blood."

The word "I'm a ruthless person. I have cold blood." keep swirling around Taehyung head. It's almost a week since the incident but he still can't make up his mind. He was indeed curious about the whole Corona and Marionette but something feels fishy for him.

'Siblings education, treatments for grandmother.' is very important to him. He kept tossing and turning in his sleep unsure on what to do. He felt suffocated and decided to take a walk.

He closed his eyes and only the sound of crickets filled the air until he felt warm hands covered his eyes. "Guess who," she said with a giggle. "Umm Lisa ?" He heard a chuckle and knew it was right.

"What are you doing here in the wee hours ?" Lisa asked and sat at the swings next to him.

Taehyung looked towards his side and laughed. "What are YOU doing here in the wee hours? You don't even live here." Taehyung asked her back.

"Have you made a decision ?" Lisa changed the subject. "Are you a Corona? You have a business right ?" Taehyung asked her ignoring her question.

"Me, a Corona ?" Lisa laughed. " Nope." She popped the 'p'. "Corona and marionettes only exist in Hamgye at least most are from Hamgye." Lisa shrugged her shoulders.

"Anyway, did you know there's somewhere around the school there's a hidden journal by past marionettes. It's kinda like their live diary." Lisa squinted her eyes as the sun was rising.

"Where can I find them ?" Taehyung asked interested in finding the journal. "Ask, Mr Park Bogum. I have to go Tae. See you later." She waved him goodbye.

Moonlight Café, Hamgye

          Rosé kept sighing and just stared at the coffee. Her book was left open on her lap. She was about to reach for the cupcakes on her table when suddenly a hand faster than her, grabbed it first. "Hey !!"

"Yum. This is delicious." He munched the cupcake until it was half-eaten.

"Oops! Did you want it, cupcake ?" He teased and made a puts it in front of her mouth.

"Ugh. It's been in your disgusting mouth. I don't want it."

She looked up from the book she was reading and see how his face was bruised and there were cuts at the corner of his lips and a bandaid on top of his eyebrow.

"Are— are you hurt badly ?" Rosé couldn't help suppressed her worry towards the man.

A chuckle left his mouth. "This—" he pointed at his heart, "— is where it hurts. You didn't call me or anything. Are you that mad at me? Cupcake ?"  He pouted. 

"Oh, am I mad because you FORCE me to be your freaking doll and almost get me killed! I don't know ask yourself, Jungkook. I wasn't born in your fucking society. That isn't normal for me."

She stood up, gather all her things and was about to leave but Jungkook pulled her hand and sat her down back to her seat.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking." The pained look that he gave made Rosé's stomach twist. She didn't like it.

"I'll see you sometime and remove the ring. I don't have the device now. I'm sorry Rosé." Hearing him said her name instead of 'cupcake' feels weird.

When he left, she felt even more empty than she was before. She looked towards the ring, "I should be happy right now. But why is my heart so heavy right now? What's wrong with you, Rosé ?"

"Need some advice ?" A girl sat in front of her. "I was a marionette once. My corona was my boyfriend and he was my saviour as cliche as it sounds. I loved him so much but every day after we're done I wished I could turn back time."

"What happened ?" Rosé asked totally engaged in her story.

"I'm going to study outside of Korea and I managed to do it with his help. My boyfriend is involved in dangerous thing and it made me worried every day if he's okay and I was worried about my own safety but I tested the term 'ride or die' and somehow managed. Now I'm no longer his marionette, I'm worried that he has no one to take care of himself." She got up.

"Everything is up to you though. Think wisely, dear."

Taehyung's dorm.

          "I was really hoping that I would see you here." Taehyung removes his coat and hangs it.

"It's almost Christmas." Jennie rubs her hand together. "Hot cocoa ?"

Taehyung nodded. Jennie got up and went to the kitchen before handing him the drink.

"I've made my decision," Taehyung told her when she sat down across from him.

"I've been thinking everything and honestly I was intrigued with this whole marionette and corona thing. It kept me awake at night. Then, you mentioned about my family. It's true that my grandmother needs to undergo treatment for her sickness and my younger siblings deserved the best education they need. So, I will become your marionette." He slid the first contract towards her.

"But—," He paused and study Jennie's expression. She had a poker face and he couldn't pit pointed what she's feeling. "If I'm doing this, I want it to be real. I will also be your mafia marionette."

Jennie raised her eyebrow and smirked looking at him. " I won't say I'm surprised about the second one. But I'm glad. Thank you, pup." She told him. "If you want, I can arrange training or anything. Or you can just be the way you are now. It's your call."

"I'll undergo training. That's the least I can do as your marionette right, princess."