24.

The latest rumour blowing up the internet is whether British heart-throb Tom Holland has proposed to his long-time girlfriend Y/N, after she was seen wearing a noticeable rock on that finger whilst in LA for the Avengers: Infinity War premiere! Neither has confirmed nor denied the engagement, their social media's suspiciously quiet.

"Well, Y/N. What do you have to say?!" your Mother hissed, thrusting the latest trashmag in your face.

You sighed resignedly. You had thought she was inviting you out for coffee to try and get on the same page as Jack and Louise's wedding drew closer, brewing overhead like a thundercloud. You'd only been here five minutes and it was already turning into another dressing down of how you had failed as a daughter and sister.

"Well? I'm waiting Y/N" your Mother continued, her hands scrunching up the magazine. You were struck by how thin and scraggly her hands had become. They looked like birds claws, her penchant for long pointed acrylic nails only serving to enhance their birdlike appearance.

"What do you want me to say Mum?" you asked exasperatedly. "You know these magazines are complete trash!"

"I want you to tell me that this isn't just some stunt to get back at Louise for not including you in her bridal party!"

"WHAT!?" you exclaimed. Your Mother and Louise's vanity had reached a new height of lunacy.

"Well, isn't it enough that you are dating him?!" She spat, as if Tom's name was dirt in her mouth. "You just couldn't let Lou have her day! You just had to steal all the attention for yourself!" Your Mother's eyes were manic as she leaned across the table in an effort to keep her voice from rising.

"Mother, I am not engaged and if I was I sure as hell would not be doing it to ruin Lou's day" you retorted, trying to cover how hurt you were. You were grateful you were in a public place as it reduced her theatrics a little, but you cursed yourself for being so foolish as to meet her in the first place. You hated keeping your engagement a secret but it was the safest option for yours and Tom's privacy for now.

At that moment Louise flounced in, literally. She whacked the back of your head with her oversized handbag as she walked past you and sat next to Mum. She glared at you, her eyes pinched meanly. With a sinking heart, you realised that any hope you still held onto for a somewhat functional and normal relationship with your sister was misplaced.

"What's with all the paps? Are they here cos of you?" she asked, her voice raised loudly so everyone's head in the cafe turned towards you.

Since the speculation of your engagement, you'd gained a steady following of paparazzi. They'd never really been interested in you before, but the opportunity to catch you with a ring on your finger was worth a lot to these vultures. You'd yet to be in the same situation you'd experienced in LA, but you had gone out of your way to avoid them at all costs. And you never wore the ring outside.

"Well?" Louise asked, her nose crinkled like someone was holding dog poo underneath it.

"Yes Louise. It's a con of dating a celebrity" you snarled, uninterested in continuing this conversation.

"So are you engaged to him or what?" Louise asked, her voice still raised. Her sour attitude was grating on your already worn nerves.

"No Louise. As I've just said to Mother, I am not and it's not my intention to...steal your limelight" you tried not to clench your jaw as you spoke.

"Well, Jack said that he's unsurprised that it's all a lie. He said you were always seeking attention in your relationship"

You were completely blindsided by her comment. It felt as if someone had kicked you in the gut with a steel-toed boot. "He said what?" you asked, voice quiet in disbelief.