30.

"How long does it take?" Tom asked, yet again.

"It takes five minutes. Stop asking" you replied, your voice strained.

You were sitting on the bathroom counter, four pregnancy tests sitting next to you, as you anxiously waited for the results to appear.

"Four seems a little excessive Dot" you'd noted when she had arrived that afternoon.

"Well, I thought better safe than sorry. And they're all different brands. You wouldn't want to get a false reading with just one test, it could make you think you're not pregnant when you are!"

You laughed at her, shaking your head. "Thank you for doing this"

"Anytime. Now hurry up and do it, I wanna know if I'm going to be an Auntie!"

Dot came into the bathroom carrying two steaming mugs of tea. "For the nerves" she said, handing you and Tom a mug each.

"How long has it been?" Tom asked, his foot tapping impatiently.

You sighed exasperatedly. "Long enough" you muttered, jumping down from the counter.

You couldn't look though, your heart in your throat. You were frozen in place, physically unable to turn the tests over. You looked at Tom, nervously chewing your lip. His face, which had been flushed with excitement a moment ago, was now pale as yours. "I can't" you whispered.

"Me neither" Tom murmured.

"I'll do it" Dot said calmly. You latched onto Tom, burying your face in his chest. His heart was pounding and you held onto him a little tighter. His head was bent towards yours, his arms wrapped around your waist. "Okay...um...slight problem..." Dot said, her voice nervous.

"What?" you and Tom asked in unison, turning to look at her.

"Uh...two tests are negative, and the other two...are positive"

"What? How?" you exclaimed, moving away from Tom to look at the tests. But there the results were: two negative and two positive. You were no closer to finding out whether you were pregnant or not. You groaned, leaning against the sink and shaking your head.

"Could it be the brands? I mean, false readings are a thing right?" Tom asked, brow furrowed as he looked at the pregnancy tests.

"Yes, but the problem is two positives and two negatives doesn't tell us which it is...I'm going to have to make a doctors appointment. Fuck" you cursed, pinching the bridge of your nose and trying to breathe deeply. With your paparazzi tail it would only fuel the pregnancy speculation.

Tom's hands moved up your shoulders, squeezing the tense muscles. He looked sad and you felt your heart twist in response.

"Sorry guys" Dot murmured.

"It's not your fault. Thank you for getting the tests"

"It's okay. I'll leave you two alone. Talk soon"

She slipped out of the bathroom, the front door closing quietly behind her. You sighed deeply, unsure if you wanted to cry or rage. Tom's hands guided you into his arms and you leaned into him.

"I'm sorry love"

"Me too" you sighed.

"Come on, let's watch a movie and try not to think about it too much"

You nodded, letting him pull you towards the living room. You sank onto the couch as he put a random DVD in the DVD player. The screen came to life and you watched with glazed eyes. Your head rested in Tom's lap, his fingers playing with your hair absentmindedly.