34.

"So here is the number and address for Dr O'Sullivan's rooms. Don't forget to make an appointment with the receptionist for my practice at the hospital. Keep the bandage on for the next 24 hours and don't do any upper body exercises for the next week or so. I'll see you next week"

Dazed, you followed Tom out of Dr Mandapati's room towards the reception. Your arm felt weird, disconnected from your body, the bandage tight around your numb bicep. As you'd predicted you fainted, despite the fact that you were lying down. The sensation of Dr Mandapati pulling the rod out of your arm had been enough to make you nauseous and you'd woken up to Tom patting your face, muttering to Dr Mandapati as she stitched you up that this was becoming an unfortunate habit of yours.

"What's your schedule for next week babe?" Tom asked, turning to you. You were grateful he was taking charge. You still felt light-headed and woozy.

"Um. Any day is fine" you muttered, a million miles away. There was movement outside and you thought you saw a camera flash.

"Tuesday at 12:30pm okay?"

"Yep. Great" you answered, trying to determine if indeed it was a camera flash or if it was just your imagination.

"Come on, let's go". Tom took your hand and started to lead you towards the exit. It was as you were nearly out the sliding doors of the clinic that you saw the paparazzi crowd, cameras poised and waiting. "Shit" Tom stopped and turned around, dragging you with him. "Is there a back exit we could use?" he asked the receptionist quietly.

"Sure, down the hall and the last door on the left" she said quietly, smiling sympathetically.

You hurried down the hallway, slipping out into the blinding sun. You had just made it to the car when a pap spotted you.

"THEY'RE HERE" he yelled, clicking away.

Tom hit the accelerator and reversed as fast as was possible in the cramped car park. You closed your eyes and focused on breathing slowly, trying to ignore the frenzied sound of camera shutters.

"Fucking move" Tom growled, the car inching forward. You cracked an eyelid to see the paps swarming the car, making it impossible for Tom to drive. You could feel the tension rolling off him in waves, and you reached out to place a placating hand on his arm.

"It's okay. I'm okay. Just be careful" you murmured. You didn't need there to be anything more for them to report other than you'd been to the doctors again. He nodded, exhaling as he slowly inched out of the car park. Once he was on the road he floored it, leaving the paps behind.

"Fucking vultures"

"They're scum" you agreed.

"You okay?"

"Yeah" you sighed heavily. "We should tell our parents"

"Mm" he humphed. "Oh shit!" he exclaimed suddenly, startling you.

"What?" you gasped, turning to see if he'd run over an animal.

"I have Comicpalooza next week!"

"Is that all? You freaked me out! When?"

"26th and 27th, and it's a problem Y/N"

You got your phone out, checking the dates. "That's a Saturday and Sunday. Why's it a problem?"

"What if they want to do that D&C thing whilst I'm away?"

"I'll be okay. I have Dot and my Dad, and your parents"

Tom shook his head. "Nope. You're not going through that without me"

"Tom -"

"No! I'll just cancel"