Chapter 10- What Father Doesn't Know

Whoa Baby.

Chapter 10-What  Father Doesn't Know

"Sometimes things fall apart so that better things can fall together." ― Marilyn Monroe

I didn't think it'd be so surprising for me to be seen at a party, but apparently it indeed was. JC didn't talk for a good thirty seconds and I felt kind of stupid just standing there, so instead of just standing around speechless I turned to walk away, only to get stopped again with another yank of my shoulder.

"Hey, you're here." JC points out like it's such a shocking concept to realize.

"Hey, you're talking to me in public." I point out with a shocking gasp just as equal to his surprise state. I almost wanted to laugh, joke around and be light hearted with him. But last time we spoke I was the one yelling at him to leave me alone.

He bit his bottom lip, looking away looking slightly ashamed almost. "Yeah, well, I thought I'd try to be a friend." Narrowing my eyes at him stunned, I slowly crossed my arms over my chest and took a moment to realize he just called me his friend. If he were my friend then he's a shitty one at that.

"Listen, I'm going to enjoy the rest of the party-"

"Wait, why don't we walk around and talk. Do friend things." He interrupted, grabbing my wrist to keep me from leaving.

A part of me liked the idea, saying this is what I needed in order to get closer to JC, get used to being comfortable with him and then finally, courageous enough to tell him the news. The other half wanted to keep away. So with a hesitant nod I followed him to the shore line, rubbing my hands up and down my arms as the wind blew stronger closer to the ocean.

"So, are you staying around here?" I ask, taking a peek to look at him from the corner of my eyes.

"Yeah, beige house on the pier. A few buddies of mine and I rented it. It's pretty nice." He told me, stuffing his hand in his shorts pockets.

"My friends and I were looking at that house at one point." I stated, a faint grin on my lips, "We choose the blue one at the end of the beach." Turning to him I figured I could make a joke, "You have friends other than me? That's really shocking."

"I know it's so surprising that a bastard like me has friends." He jokes back in a mocking tone. "You look a little cold there," He observes, throwing his arm over my shoulder, "Want to take a walk?" He offers, moving his body and mine so we were facing the other direction.

"I'm good actually." I declined, trying to move from under his arm. "Actually, I'm going to sit by the fire and keep warm." Goosebumps crawled down my spine and showered over my arms at JC's touch. It just didn't feel right or sit well in my stomach.

"I'll join you." He announced, standing by me closely. I took a step away, creating distance. I took my old seat back next to my new friends Lacey and Gabe. Even after all this time they were still talking, if I didn't know any better I'd say they're hitting it off pretty well, flirting even. "Want a drink?" He asked, standing in front of me.

"No thanks, I'm good." I declined, shaking my head. I picked the cup that was nestled into the sand by my feet, which might have been mine from earlier.

"Do you drink?" He asked casually, sitting on a plastic chair next to me.

"Not tonight." I replied, tipping the contents of the cup onto the sand. "You?" I wondered, keeping my hands busy by playing with the cup.

"Not tonight." Repeating my answer. I stared at the fire and sighed, trying to rack up a thought to keep my mind from wondering into the darkest thoughts of my brain. I looked around for Emma and Alice once more, there were so many blonds at this party anyone of them could have been Emma, but not so many red heads. That's why it's was a bit easier to find Alice, talking to the same girl she introduced me to earlier. "I want to ask you something." JC stated, not asking first like people normally do.