047

Paxton Flynn

"You wouldn't believe what happened next." Ryder exclaimed, rubbing her hands together as we continued our journey to her house. "I actually brought up the idea of going over to Seb's mansion by myself. When we got to the gate, as Percy was trying to undo the lock, we heard a gunshot."

"A gunshot?" Landon asked then turned to me. "I thought nobody got shot?"

I opened my mouth to respond but Ryder beat me to it. "Shut it, we agreed that I'm the one telling the story!"  I nodded smiling while Landon rolled his eyes.

"Like I was saying," she continued, glowing like she's been waiting for this moment all her life. "We heard the gunshot and Percy immediately called the police while I was trying not to poop my pants. Turns out Barry's crazy mother aimed the gun at Paxton and when she fired it Pax closed his eyes in fear but he never felt the pain or bullet, turns out Sebastian – the perfect guy," she swooned. "Well, Seb took that exact moment to come stand in front of Pax here, hoping to take the bullet in his place."

I shut my eyes praying to block out Ry's voice as I heard the familiar gunshot sound go off in my head. It's been two days and the damn sound and headache won't leave me. If I tell mum she'd rush me over to the hospital as soon as possible. It took a lot of pleading and convincing for her to actually let me out of her sight.

"Pax freaked out thinking Sebastian was shot but he wasn't." Ry explained and I briefly wondered how she could be so excited about my near death experience story. But then I remember how she was shaking and crying on that day and decide to let it slide. Its her time to shine.

"So who was shot?" Lan asked, completely hooked to the tale.

"Nobody." Ry said clapping her hands together and she was one second away from jumping up and down. "Barry, the one we thought was a freak, deflected the bullet. He held unto his mum's hand and they struggled for the gun. Do you know, his mother was actually going to kill him if he didn't let her finish her revenge. Their little fight got to Seb's room balcony. Percy and I who had eventually entered the building could see the fight going on but we couldn't tell who the guy was. The gun fell through, all the way up from Seb's balcony and Barry's mum lost it. She started hitting him and pushed him off but..."

"What? Tell me!" Landon asked and I'm pretty sure they had no idea we were already in Ryder's house.

"Barry held onto her and together, the Dawson family fell five storeys down." She completed dramatically. Then put her key in and opened the door.

"Jeez, that's so fucked up." Landon said plopping down on the sofa at the same time I did. He turned to me. "Are they okay?"

I shrug. "They are not dead so..."

"Yeah." Ry piped in. "Mama Crazy got paralysed from waist down, doctors don't know if it's permanent or not. Barry got his head cracked, concussion and a few bruises here and there. Long story short – they'll live."

"What about laws they broke and people killed?"

"Well, I don't think Mama crazy would ever the sun out unless from prison. Barry got out easy because he saved their lives so, community service." Ry explained.

"Great serves Mama crazy right."

I groaned. "Please stop calling her that." I know I probably should be as excited about all this as they are. After I was complaining of my life being boring and now I'm talk of the town. But honestly, I'm still pretty shaken up about all this. My world came crashing down and rose up again. I thought Seb was going to die. That was the worst part of everything. The best part is the only thing we escaped with are nightmares and a few bruises where we were tied up.