New Year New Life

It got cold super quick. Nyda's scans showed cancer shrinkage. She would go in for surgery in less than a week. She had decided on a total mastectomy. She would have both done. We now sat on her bed cuddling at looking at different implants.

"If you get them big enough you can finally smother men with your titties." I joked. She was so pale and thin now. She hadn't had a good time with the chemo and radiation. Her skin was dry. She was constantly nauseous and had totally lost her appetite. She had only started eating again when Carl had convinced her to start using medical marijuana. It had helped her appetite.

"Thank you... I know its been hard watching me go through all of this." She smiled up at me and sighed. "We're going to get through this. And I can't thank you enough."

"These past few months have felt like a lifetime." I brought her a hot pack to warm her hands. She was so cold. "Dinners almost ready. No clue what Carl's making, but it looks like a garden." I joke and sit beside her.

"You don't have to do all this. I am okay." She wrapped herself tighter in her blanket.

"I'll be there as soon as you wake up." I smiled and heard Carl walk into a cabinet. "Carl? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." He walked in rubbing his head. "You need to head home. It's getting late." He looked at his watch. "Sorry dinner is so late."

I looked at a clock on the nightstand. "crap..." I jumped up. "I was supposed to be home an hour ago. "I'll see you later." I kissed my palm and pressed it to Nyda's forehead. "Eat up. rest up."

Carl walked me to the door. He had genuinely started enjoying having me around. "thank you, Angel. I really appreciate the help."

"I just love seeing her smile." I hugged Carl tightly.

I headed home. The drive was quiet. When I drove up the driveway, the lights were completely dark. I got out of my car. I didn't see a light on in any of the windows.  I walked up to the door. I walked in.

The TV was on. A pale light shown through the entry way. I slowly tiptoed in and saw Cassie and Carlton sitting on the couch. Justin was walking in from the kitchen. He had hot popcorn.

"You're late." Carlton looked up at me. "I was beginning to wonder if you'd ever get home." Cassie turned towards me and hopped up.

"Did we have plans?" I looked at Justin. "I must have forgotten."

"No. We didn't have plans." Justin popped a few pieces of popcorn in his mouth. He chewed happily. "This I why you should always check your phone." Justin smacked my butt playfully as I walked up to him. He smiled and held a piece of popcorn infront of my mouth. "Be a good girl and you'll get a special treat." He laughed as I took the piece of popcorn.

...

Surgery was a success. Nyda was still asleep after a few hours. She hadn't slept all week. Carl was happy to see her sleeping. He was happy to see the worry on her face melt away and be replaced with the blissful relaxation of sleep. He curled up on the chair beside her slowly drifting into his own sleep.

Angel tip toed in and smiled to herself. She had brought with her a large glass vase with huge yellow roses. She gently placed the roses on the window. She slowly made her way out of the room and closed the door.

Dr. B was standing at the nurses station. She was talking with one of the nurses who was typing on a computer. Angel walked towards them.

"Dr. B," Angel smiled.

"Angel, I saw that Nyda was in for surgery today. I just finished talking with her surgeon. He was very optimistic." Dr. B smiled and quickly wrote something on a chart. "She is doing good."

Angel sighed and felt tears in her eyes. "Thank you."

Dr. B nodded. "I have rounds on the fourth floor."

Angel headed down to the cafeteria. She wanted some coffee and a chocolate chip cookie. She happily took a bag of nearly a half dozen cookies and headed back up to the fifth floor.

She went back into Nyda's room and curled up in the other chair. She sipped on her coffee and stared out the window. It was snowing. Large fluffy flakes lazily drifted down and gathered on the ground. Angel thought it was beautiful. The world outside was beginning to turn white. Pure and beautiful untouched snow.

The hours ticked by. Angel spent the time staring out the window and daydreaming. She snapped back to reality as she heard Nyda.

"Why did you bring me those God awful yellow roses?" Nyda turned over and groaned. "They're so loud."

"I think you could use some sunshine." Angel smiled. "How do you feel?"

"A little bit like I'm floating." She sighed and closed her eyes. Carl jumped up to see if she needed help. "Carl, can you get me some water.?" Carl nodded happily. She was okay.

Angel stayed a little longer. Nyda was very out of it and half slept the entire time. Carl sat there watching her with love.

Angel excused herself and headed home. The roads were empty. And the snow crunched under her tires. She was glad to get home. She kicked off her cold boots and crawled into bed.

Justin lay in bed. It was late. Angel had stayed a lot longer than she had originally planned. Justin rolled over as she climbed in bed. "Get your cute ass in the shower. You smell like a hospital."

"And if I don't?" Angel was exhausted. She didn't want to get up again.

"I will push your adorable ass out of bed. I can't cuddle a bed pan." He rolled over and gently patted her butt. "Also I won't let you cum for a week."

Angel grumbled and got up. She trudged into the bathroom and turned on the shower. She let the water run over her. It was hot and made her relax.

When she turned off the water she smiled to see him laying on his back. She thought back to when she met him. She felt her expression darken slightly thinking about how he had only found interest in her because of her similarities to his first love.

...

Justin sat at work smiling as his phone lit up. Angel had texted him. he had given her the day off. "Justin are you listening to me?"

Justin shook his head. "I'm sorry Meg. Angel sent me this adorable picture of her."

"Stop." Meg growled. "You are cruel. If you think that your infatuation with her is going to protect her from getting hurt when you realize she's not at all like Rebecca..." Meg took a deep breath. "She's so kind and I know you've been avoiding this."

Justin looked away from Meg. "I know I rushed into this because she reminded me of Rebecca. But there's more to it. She is amazing. I'm glad I rushed into this. She makes me more happy than I have ever been." Justin smiled.

Meg stood up. "Be good to her." She sighed. "She has become a big part of all of our lives." Meg smiled. "She's too good."