~PART ONE~ [Chapter 1] True Identities

Pete, Joe, Andy, and I just finished performing "Dance, Dance" at our school's homecoming and our classmates were going crazy. They loved us. It was different. And it felt...good.

We waved to the students as we walked off the stage, through the crowd, and out of the gymnasium. Hands were extended out in hopes they would get to touch us as we passed by. We finally broke through the crowd and pushed through the double doors. Out in the hallway, leaning against a row of lockers, were Lexy and Marie, tuxedos in their hands for us to change into.

Lexy's a junior like Joe and me, she's been my neighbor since I can remember. But Joe met her in sixth grade and Andy and Pete met her freshman year. She has medium length, wavy, blonde hair and is really nice. So is Marie, but she's a sophomore, the youngest out of us, and she has long, straight, dark brown hair. We met her this year, but she fit right in.

"Thank you so much, guys," I said with a smile, which they both kindly returned. I took my tuxedo out of Lexy's hand and followed my three friends into the men's room, where we hurriedly swapped outfits.

You see, the four of us form the band Fall Out Boy. Everyone knows the band and our music, but no one knows that it's us, four high school misfits who aren't too popular. Except for Lexy and Marie. And that's only because they've been around since the beginning and help keep our secret, well, a secret.

"That was one of the best performances yet!" Joe exclaimed as he buttoned his shirt, followed by a chuckle.

"I know," Andy agreed as he pulled his hair back.

"Where are my glasses?" I asked, starting to aimlessly crawl around the small bathroom on my hands and knees with my eyes squinted. I felt like I was Velma from Scooby Doo.

"I just don't understand why we have to hide our true identities," Pete muttered under his breath loud enough for all of us to hear. He was trying to clean off the heavy black eyeliner that circled his eyes. "I mean, they love Fall Out Boy. Why can't they love us too?"

"Because who wants to love a bunch of losers?" Andy retorted cynically.

"Guys, I'm serious!" I interjected with frustration, "Where are my glasses!?!"

Just then, I heard the guys' bathroom door open. I was afraid it was one of the teachers from the dance or one of our fellow classmates, but to my relief, it was just Lexy. "Sorry," She apologized as she stepped into the bathroom, "I forgot about your guys' glasses."

I stood up and snatched them from her, putting them on my face and glaring at her. She smiled sarcastically before handing Andy and Pete their glasses and walking out. Pete just slipped the glasses into his jacket pocket. I watched her leave and I could see the pink in her cheeks before she left. I sighed.

Pete grunted, "This is never coming off!" He turned around and in replace of the thick black eyeliner he had a smudged ring. The guys and I started laughing. He scoffed and walked out. The three of us followed after. We met up with Lexy and Marie.

"I actually have someone in there waiting for me, so..." Andy mentioned before darting into the overcrowded gymnasium, leaving Joe, Lexy, Marie, and me in the hallway. Lexy crossed her arms over her chest and an awkward silence fell over the three of us. Probably because Joe has a huge crush on Marie and he's really shy when it comes to girls he really likes.

"Well, I have to get going or my dad's going to start getting worried," Marie blurted out, "I'll see you later, Lexy! Bye guys!" She smiled before walking away and out of the school. Joe smacked his forehead and fell against one of the lockers.

"Maybe next time, Joe," I patted him on the shoulder, "Maybe next time."

Lexy gave me a confused look, "Maybe next time what?"

I was about to tell her that Joe likes Marie when Joe clamped his hand over my mouth and answered for me, "Maybe next time we can do a different song for the concert." She stared at him in confusion. "Right, Patrick?" He raised his eyebrows in anticipation for me to go along with his lie.

"Yeah," I mumbled through his hand. He smiled and lowered his hand. "That's it."

Joe patted me on the back and he told us he was going to go back and see if he could get a girl to kiss him. Lexy and I both laughed and he walked away, leaving it now to just the two of us.

That's when Pete and the girl he took to homecoming, I believe her name was Jennifer, came out of the gym. He totally ignored us as he passed by - he was so infatuated with her. And I don't blame him, she was a pretty girl.

"See you Monday, Pete!" Lexy called after him. He looked back and waved to her and me.

"So, umm..." I nervously scratched behind my head, "It's a dance and...I was wondering if you..." I looked up at Lexy and saw she had a smile on her face.

"Yes," She retorted without me even having to ask. Probably because she knew what I was trying to get at. "But only as friends, alright?"

I laughed, "Yeah, only as friends."

She interlocked her fingers with mine and dragged me in the direction Joe had escaped in. We walked in and were shocked by how died down the gymnasium had gotten. A slow song was playing and couples were scattered about. We walked into the center of the gym and got into slow dance position, except insanely far apart from each other. We started to sway back and forth, and the more we did that, the distance between us gradually got shorter and by the end of the song, Lexy was resting her head on my shoulder and my chin was resting on her head.

The song ended and we both kind of just froze. We slowly looked at each other before stepping away from each other. She patted the front of her white, lace, short-sleeved sundress down, "Well, umm...that was weird." I nodded my head in agreement. "I-I'll see you later, Patrick." She flashed a quick smile before turning around leaving.

That was weird, I thought to myself.

Author's Note: Hey guys! I hoped you liked the first chapter of this book. Just so you know, the picture of the girl I attached to this chapter is supposed to be Lexy. Well, at least that's how I envisioned her to look. Anyways, thanks for reading! -Rachael